Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Happening in Warhammer 40k?

Options
  • 05-07-2017 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

It sounds like theres big events happening in the Warhammer 40k after a long time being stagnant, new Space Marines, Necron vs Tyrranid? Eldar on the rise again etc.

Im just wondering where all this new lore is coming from? I like 40k books especially anything by Dan Abnett, are there books I should be reading that explain the new events or is it all in the tabletop game rulebooks which I dont read or play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bob Bob

There was a new edition, 8th ed just released. Part of the 'theme' of this edition was that there was going to be centered around a big Imperium v's Chaos face-off. To that end a big chaos rift thingy has split the galaxy in two and chaos are all over the shop now kicking ass and chewing bubble gum.

To spur this conflict on there will be a series of 'global events' where particular theatres of war will come into focus. Players around the world are encouraged to square off as Imperium vs Chaos and report in the results, with the various Xenos swinging the score in a direction of their choosing. Once the results are known, the galaxy will change to reflect it.

In terms of rules, the entire systems as been reworked from the ground up and a helluva lot of old and needlessly complicated rules have been cut. Some good changes, some bad, some silly but the general concensus is that, a few salty players aside, the game is much improved and streamlined for faster play with most of the complaints being around the balancing of various units costs. Every single faction, yes ALL of them, were redone as part of the release and there are 5 Index's (2 imperial, 1 chaos, 2 xenos) to stat out every army and unit.
    In addition, yesterday GW announced that there will be 10 faction specific codexes released in time for christmas which will flesh out and add to the various factions. The stated intent is to have every major factions codex out within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh okay it's all in-game then? I assume we'll have to wait a couple of years for the authors to catch up...

No mention of any of this in Dawn of War 3 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EntryNumber5

They heard you liked space marines so they put space marines in your space marines, is the short version.

The primaris marines are basically super-super soldiers and Robutt Guillomanz apparantly put the development of them and all their tech in motion 10,000 years ago with a tech priest who has been working on improving and perfecting the emperors work ever since.
    It's maaarginally plausible but kind of lore BS in a lot of ways, I could go on but I'm still in slight denial.
    However I heard through the grapevine that Dan Abnet is supposedly going to be a guest at Octocon this year in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats the best way to keep up with developments if you dont play the game? I absolutely love the Necrons.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Plastic Cavanman

You could subscribe to the GW emails, a lot of it is gaming related but they do have fluff too, also Gav Thorpe has a newsletter, you could try that if you're willing to listen to him enthuse about everything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement