Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing PC parts 2017

Options
  • 05-07-2017 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm Wondering if anyone has found a good reputable reasonably priced supplier of PC parts within Europe that delivers to Ireland, aside from Komplett, Mindfactory, Overclockers, eleara. I'm finding it harder to source parts each time I go to build or upgrade, the companies that I have tried and have bought from in the past are listing parts well above the msrp.. others I've found don't deliver to ireland.. Some of the UK suppliers are okay but the exchange rate hits hard. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Geizhals will get you the best deal. Really need to look no further (outside watching for the next HWVS collapse).

All AMD GPUs are way above MSRP at the minute, and probably some nVidia ones too. Thank Etherium for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kevinsully2

Thanks for the Info, I will have a look at Geizhals.

Have you ever used this company I just came across them: custompcparts .ie

Newegg have an international site now that delivers to Ireland, I've never ordered form them because I assumed that the Customs and Import taxes would be very high. Have you ever ordered from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ram is highly priced right now and graphics cards are getting to stupid prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Havent used customparts.

Ignore Newegg and the rest of the non EU retailers. VAT+Duty on top of shipping and RMA problems make it totally not worth your while.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's a bad time to be a PC self-builder; RAM is being hit by production slump/mobile companies buying up DDR4 stock, and GPUs are being bought by crypto-miners.

The situation was so good only 2 months ago :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

To be honest with how the GBP is at the moment I've found UK retailers (Amazon most often) to offer the best prices considering free delivery and easy returns in case there are any issues after purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I second Amazon.co.uk. Reasonably good prices, can get all the stuff from the same place, free delivery, great returns process. In my opinion it's the best value for money at the moment.

I've also used Novatech - they were a little expensive but I found them excellent to deal with.

I second Amazon.co.uk. Reasonably good prices, can get all the stuff from the same place, free delivery, great returns process. In my opinion it's the best value for money at the moment.

I've also used Novatech - they were a little expensive but I found them excellent to deal with.

Personally I think for micro budget builds that their 'AVP Hyperion' case knocks anything else under £25 out of the park on appeal (white one is on Amazon for about £26 - neither deliver to Ireland but Parcel Motel will do it for €7.95), and for low end G4560 motherboards they do a H110 for about £42. Depends what you're looking for I guess, but I really like their website layout as well - clear and easy to get around.

Would advise anyone to avoid Aria like the plague, the prices they hide until the checkout are hilarious, I remember having about £38 in my cart before and it coming to something like £60 - before I even specified I was not in the UK!! I'll actually go to the trouble of clicking every single retailer but them on PCPP because of it if doing a build recommendation for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

Billy86 wrote: »
    Personally I think for micro budget builds that their 'AVP Hyperion' case knocks anything else under £25 out of the park on appeal (white one is on Amazon for about £26 - neither deliver to Ireland but Parcel Motel will do it for €7.95), and for low end G4560 motherboards they do a H110 for about £42. Depends what you're looking for I guess, but I really like their website layout as well - clear and easy to get around.

Would advise anyone to avoid Aria like the plague, the prices they hide until the checkout are hilarious, I remember having about £38 in my cart before and it coming to something like £60 - before I even specified I was not in the UK!! I'll actually go to the trouble of clicking every single retailer but them on PCPP because of it if doing a build recommendation for someone.

Wouldn't a H110 Mobo require a BIOS Update first to support the g4560?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Graphic cards have gone up due to supply and demand; the bitcoin type miners are buying the cards.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    RAM is being hit by production slump/mobile companies buying up DDR4 stock
    Also, RAM may gone up a bit more due to one of the factories malfunctioning, although this should only be a temporary hiccup.

• Advertisement

Alpha8 wrote: »
    Wouldn't a H110 Mobo require a BIOS Update first to support the g4560?

I had thought so, though I actually used one for a budget build last week with a H110 - have an i5 6600K so was ready to switch it in, but it's a tiny case so taking it apart is a pain in the hoop. Chanced my arm, chucked in the G4560 with an EZ Flash USB that had the BIOS I got off Asus' website and it updated and worked perfect. It might be down to the fact that almost all H110's being sold first hand at this stage would likely have been built a good while after Kaby Lake came along, but it was a welcome surprise all the same and for people looking to get a decent build for €400-500, the €25 saved can be a pretty big help.

Billy86 - I'm about to start a kaby lake build and was hoping to use a 110 but it'd be a b!tch to take my current 6700k out of my current rig - can you let me know the exact H110 you bought so I can do the same!!!!

Thanks.

Billy86 - I'm about to start a kaby lake build and was hoping to use a 110 but it'd be a b!tch to take my current 6700k out of my current rig - can you let me know the exact H110 you bought so I can do the same!!!!

Thanks.

The one I used was ITX - this exact one ordered last Tuesday: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018SMJJH6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It offsets the saving on the B250 but couldn't help it because of how much I love the tiny case used (that you can get one of Amazon's £34 EVGA 430W non modular PSUs into with the help of a good 5-6 zip ties) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/SilverStone-SST-SG13B-Q-Sugo-Mini-black/dp/B00T85E9U0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499351204&sr=8-3&keywords=sg13

Here's what looks to be the same model but in MATX for £48 (free delivery) so €54.50 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/H110M-K-Express-S-ATA-Micro-Motherboard/dp/B017UL7NKQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1499351372&sr=1-3&keywords=h110m

Also if it's a G4560 build, here's one from BT Shop for £51 (€58); let's assume they don't do free delivery to Ireland, so use Parcel Motel and it's €62 delivery etc included - motherboard and CPU for €116.50 if you use the MATX isn't half bad!

This kit for £115 was the cheapest way I had found to do it so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentium-3-5Ghz-H110M-Motherboard-Pre-Built/dp/B06XMXJ52M/ref=sr_1_11?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1499352931&sr=1-11&keywords=kaby+lake+h110

Prefer to put it together myself though!

Ah yeah and you'll be saving about €15. If it's a low power build, few quick suggestions...

RAM £53 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computers-Accessories/Crucial-Single-DDR4-2400-PC4-192000-288-Pin-Memory/B019FRED60/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1499353259&sr=1-3&keywords=8gb+ddr4

PSU £34 (see 'other sellers' and select Amazon) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-100-W1-0430-K3-Budget-Power-Supply/dp/B01M9EX1AD/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1499353270&sr=1-3&keywords=evga+430w

If you look at Amazon Warehouse you can often get a 1050 TI for about £110-115 also, I've bought two from it and both worked perfect - Amazon have an excellent essentially no questions asked return policy if it gives you any issues though.

I was going to go with integrated graphics because this will only be a word processing / skype / internet browsing machine - am I mad?

Amazon warehouse have 20% off these days too - I'll get lots of stuff from there if I can.

P.S. - Sorry for the hijack OP - but Amazon warehouse is a good call for sourcing parts too.

Oh, no integrated will do perfectly fine for that as best I'm aware (and you should be fine moving down to a smaller PSU again on it). And yeah, sorry OP. :o

Advertisement