Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage conversion 15m2 cost?

Options
  • 05-07-2017 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a rough idea what it would cost to convert a garage roughly 15 Sq meters. Replace garage door with window, not full length, probably 3/4 length. Insulated, plastered, sockets, radiator etc so it could be used as a small TV room or office /study. I'm in the Louth area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Gonna bump this.... I emailed a few builders for a "rough" estimate. 2 of them came back to me & said they would have to see it first. I understand that but I just want a ballpark figure. Would 10k cover it from start to finish, furnished? Or would it be 15k or 20k?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

toby2111 wrote: »
    Gonna bump this.... I emailed a few builders for a "rough" estimate. 2 of them came back to me & said they would have to see it first. I understand that but I just want a ballpark figure. Would 10k cover it from start to finish, furnished? Or would it be 15k or 20k?

No that won't cover it I'm afraid. It will be 20k at least depending on the level of finish. That's a ballpark.

Get some drawings made up and get 3 builders to quote.

Edit : I misread garage conversion so if the structure is sound, then it's only a matter of digging up slab, build up with fill, insulation, radon etc. Then insulate and finish internally. May not be as steep as 20k after all, but I don't think it will be as cheap as 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Cheers. Also do I need planning permission? Thought I read that garage conversions are exempt? Could be wrong though....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

toby2111 wrote: »
    Cheers. Also do I need planning permission? Thought I read that garage conversions are exempt? Could be wrong though....

Depends on your exact situation.
    You are still bound by the 40 Sq. M max rule.
    Best to get someone on the ground to answer that and / or lodge a section 5 if you are not sure.

****ive edited my original reply to you earlier as I misread garage conversion.

Advertisement