Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDE Suggestions

Options
  • 04-07-2017 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Ok...have done no programming a long time and just looking to do a bit of mucking about to see if I can pick it up again. Nothing major just some HTML and a few PHP scripts....then maybe a few simple Android Apps.....

What I am looking for is an IDE (or other developer tools) that are free and simple to use.....what do people recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

android studio for apps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you're looking to do html and css and want to delve into some android apps you could do worse than look into something like ionic 2 . Its a cross platform framework for creating mobile apps based on angular 2. Its Typescript, Html & CSS. You just need to get to grips with angular to master it.
    The IDE of choice for it really is visual studio code which is free and lightweight.

If you want to delve into android specifically, then as has been mentioned Android Studio is the recommended ide.

JetBrains to have some good ide's depending on the language but they're not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

JetBrains to have some good ide's depending on the language but they're not free.

Unless your a student. IntelliJ IDEA is much better than Eclipse imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Dubba wrote: »
    Unless your a student. IntelliJ IDEA is much better than Eclipse imo.

True. I have a student licence for them all and I find them excellent. Far superior to Eclipse

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I tried to switch back to Eclipse because that what we have in college, and really didn't get on with it. I just ended up bring my laptop in with me, so I could use IntelliJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

If we are talking free, Visual Studio Code wins easily for me.

Student license for WebStorm if you need more debugging/refactoring tools, but I don't open it much these days.

Is the Android development native or using web technologies?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Nobody suggested emacs yet, I am disappoint.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Dubba wrote: »
    Unless your a student.
    Or you use the Community edition - with less functionality admittedly. Or if you're a committer on an open source project then you get a free license to the full product(s). I hate their new UI... I cannot distinguish the icons nearly as well any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 osforum4

For PHP you can go with "jetbrain phpstorm" and for Android application, you can go with "Android Studio". Both belong to "jetbrain".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

If we are talking free, Visual Studio Code wins easily for me.

Student license for WebStorm if you need more debugging/refactoring tools, but I don't open it much these days.

Is the Android development native or using web technologies?

Yep, cross platform and a healthy ecosystem of extensions and plugins.

If you weren't considering Java apps at some point then I'd recommend Visual Studio Community Edition, which is great

• Advertisement
Advertisement