Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im looking for 'no gi' bjj Dublin city

Options
  • 04-07-2017 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

need/would prefer to roll with people my size, above 110kg, or even 100kg

maybe 2 days a week, budget 50 per month, possibly more if it can replace my other memberships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

There is a general Brazilian Jiu Jitsu thread in the Martial Arts/Self defence forum.

Most of the regular posters there are very helpful with queries like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

John_D80 wrote: »
    There is a general Brazilian Jiu Jitsu thread in the Martial Arts/Self defence forum.

Most of the regular posters there are very helpful with queries like this.

Jungle bjj in Smithfield, no gi Thursday and open mat on Saturdays which you could do no gi

I'll be there from next week

50 per month

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Team Ryano in Finglas have a few big guys that are european champions and legit grapplers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Red Branch/10th Planet BJJ focus on Nogi, might be worth giving them a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Any club that offers Jiu Jitsu but is mainly marketed on MMA would have a strong No Gi slant, as splitting training time between both is very common. Get a Gi on now and then, though, if you want to get good fast in the initial stages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Im doing mma tues, and thurs. my wed eves during summer are usually busy, other than that Im flexible as I can do gym anytime.

probably not a good idea to train in 2 different mma gyms?

also would prefer somewhere within 5-10km of Terenure for a quick commute on my bicycle

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Does your MMA gym not have jiu jitsu classes or sessions of some sort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Mellor wrote: »
    Does your MMA gym not have jiu jitsu classes or sessions of some sort?
    no unfortunately, its very small. theres muay thai and k1 but no type of grappling outside of mma class

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

If the club doesn't offer everything you're looking for, look elsewhere to supplement your training. Although two memberships is hard to keep up financially for some of course, so might be worth switching if you're getting more serious about training, with an eye on competing in the future. Alternatively, you could ask your teammates and coaches if they'd be up for grappling outside of normal class times or even adding a class or two to the timetable.

At the end of the day, you're paying for a service. If the service isn't giving you what you need, you should look elsewhere. If your coach has a problem with you going elsewhere for supplementary training, then that's probably a bad sign, especially considering they aren't offering the service. They can't expect to hold on to people for very long that way.

I wouldn't worry about feeling weird about training in different places. The only ones who'll have a problem will be an insecure coach who cares more about their bottom line as opposed to helping their students grow with their guidance and expertise.

Advertisement