Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New shoes query/return

Options
  • 04-07-2017 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Bought a fairly expensive (for me 70 quid) pair of Sketchers casual runners at the weekend in schuh and wore them for first time today. Was raining on my 5 minute walk from bus stop to my house this evening, and when I got in I noticed my toes were wet and new runners were leaking.

Just wondering would I be entitled to return them or anything like that? I know its probably a grey area.

Was only light rain and I wasn't stomping through puddles or anything like that, just found it ridiculous they're leaking already.

Runners in question:

http://www.schuh.ie/mens/skechers-lanson-rometo-navy-trainers/3504125820/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

In my experience, Schuh are generally very good for honouring returns. As they're 'unfit for purpose' hopefully you shouldn't have an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

unless they labelled as waterproof or even water repellent I don't see the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

unless they labelled as waterproof or even water repellent I don't see the issue

Leather shouldn't let water in

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

They have a synthetic toe & heel, with a breathable, perforated upper.
    As they are sold as "comfort trainers", I would not have expected them to be waterproof.

alf66 wrote: »
    They have a synthetic toe & heel, with a breathable, perforated upper.
    As they are sold as "comfort trainers", I would not have expected them to be waterproof.

Good point. Op pop into them and see what they say and maybe let us know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

who said they were leather, IMO most likely not

who said they were leather, IMO most likely not

It says it in the materials part of the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Leather is permeable, resistance to water depends on how the leather is treated during manufacture. Unless shoe manufacturer state they are waterproof, then the default is that they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would take them back OP - brand new shoes that take in water are of no use to you in Irish weather and there could well be a fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Bought a fairly expensive (for me 70 quid) pair of Sketchers casual runners at the weekend in schuh and wore them for first time today. Was raining on my 5 minute walk from bus stop to my house this evening, and when I got in I noticed my toes were wet and new runners were leaking.

Just wondering would I be entitled to return them or anything like that? I know its probably a grey area.

Was only light rain and I wasn't stomping through puddles or anything like that, just found it ridiculous they're leaking already.

Runners in question:

http://www.schuh.ie/mens/skechers-lanson-rometo-navy-trainers/3504125820/

absolutley no entitlement as they are neither marketed as water proof or even water resistant.

In rain, water will get in at the stitching and also in the low lacing profile.

Dry them naturally away froma direct heat source.

ALL shoes unless specifically marked as waterproof or water resistant will let water in. the amount will vary depending on materials used, the type of manufacture (vulcanised sole / stitched sole) and the number of material pieces that use stitching and the profile of the lace opening. (waterproof shoes have a sealed piece of material under the lace profile.

I wouldn't even try to bring them back as it will look foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Lux23 wrote: »
    I would take them back OP - brand new shoes that take in water are of no use to you in Irish weather and there could well be a fault.

FFS - that's just ridiculous. Maybe Converse should pull all their shoes off the market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Lux23 wrote: »

Unless you think we should all be wearing wellingtons, that's just crazy talk.

Advertisement