Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove - Small Sitting Room - Help me choose, please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

7 single rads or double rads?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Single rads.

At an estimate you require 9.6kw to the water and 4/5kw to the room.
    That puts you at 14/15kw stove. At a push you could go to 18kw but 21kw would be too large and a waste of fuel.

The best stove for this would be a Stratford EB12 available in both freestanding and insert. They are expensive enough but without doubt the best boiler. They do have a cheaper version also called a Hamlet Solution Inset boiler.

I'd a good look at the Brightfire stoves in detail for the first time last week. They are a well made product with good heavy gauge steel. Made in Wexford too(The cast doors are made in the Uk I was told). They have a nice 17kw free standing boiler.

The Henley Achill 18 is a decent stove too to be fair.

Man, thanks so much.

That's great advice. I really appreciate it.

If you'd the option between an insert and freestanding on the Stratford EB12, what would you choose?

Really makes no difference to the heat output.
    If the room is small I'd go for the insert, if you don't mind the freestanding taking a bit more space go for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Be aware the bigger the stove the more heat it will put into your room.i also have a small living room,approx 4.5mx3.5m. i use a stanley oisin non boiler stove which has an output of around 6.5kw and some nights i have to leave the living room door open to spread the heat around as there's a fantastic heat comes off it.
    just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Only thing that I'll add is this, small stoves often need the sticks cut fairly short. Can be a right pain if yourebuying timber and the pieces are a bit too long.It's easier to put fewer full size into a larger stove and leave it turned low than having to be continuously feeding a small stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭glaswegian

i use turf, so sods get scored when they're being cut so they fit into the small chamber of the oisin.

glaswegian wrote: »
    Be aware the bigger the stove the more heat it will put into your room.i also have a small living room,approx 4.5mx3.5m. i use a stanley oisin non boiler stove which has an output of around 6.5kw and some nights i have to leave the living room door open to spread the heat around as there's a fantastic heat comes off it.
    just a thought.

This doesn't really apply to boiler stoves. Boiler stoves don't give off huge room heat as their primary function is to heat the water. Room heaters yes of course.

Ye're a great bunch of lads.

Thanks, everybody. It's really appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement