Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP contributions

Options
  • 03-07-2017 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I was wondering if anybody knows how the HAP contributions are calculated? My mam has recently moved, just before she was gonna be homeless she found a perfect little apartment for her and my brother, the only downside is that it is just at the dublin-meath border on the meath side so the property prices are dublin.

She has been declined HAP at first because the council thought that the price of the 2 bed apartment was ''excessive'' however it is an average price for the area. After many hours in the council they have agreed to the HAP scheme but they have calculated that my mam was to pay 20% of her weekly income on top of the difference between HAP limits and the rent price which would leave her with 200e to live with for the month.

I have read in another thread that somebody said it was 10% of weekly income, however I can't find any official sources and even the people at the council couldn't tell me a definite answer. Any ideas on how the contributions are calculated? Or what my mother could do in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Councils set the co payment so Meaths rate might be double Dublins.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 justinmg1

If your Mam is entitled to x amount as a basic with 1 dependent under the regional HAP scheme allowances there is a discretionary addition of 20% paid also by the council if the rental amount is greater but the general weekly repayments are set at 10% of the household income. So if your Mam is the only one with an income it will be calculated as such. I could be wrong in the 10% but that what I was advised in my region so I'd presume it would be county wide. The idea of HAP is to remove households off ras.

Advertisement