Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatically save files from OWA to shared drive

Options
  • 03-07-2017 4:05pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This probably isn't possible, but after expending my limited knowledge, i've hit a brick wall. I figured i'd check here before tearing my hair out trying to figure it out anymore.

Does anyone know of any way to save any attachments from emails in an Outlook inbox to a shared network folder, without requiring someone being logged in?

We need to get any XML files that are received in an inbox into a network location, so that an SSIS package can sweep the folder and get them imported into our document management system. The SSIS part is done already, and i can get a script running on a local Outlook instance to save the files, but that only runs when i'm logged in and Outlook is running. VBA scripts won't run on webmail.

As it stands, leaving an account logged in on a server is about the only thing i can think of.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If there's a way of doing it, it'll most likely be via PowerShell. I've not tried to do exactly what you're doing, but I have had to do a bunch of stuff involving Office-365 tasks via PS and it's surprisingly robust and versatile.

At a guess a variation on this should probably work. You could run it as a scheduled task at defined intervals as a service account with access to the relevant mailbox.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Thanks for that Fysh, that looks great. Should help get me on the right track anyway.

Advertisement