Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Likely outcome: divorce with no shared assets or children?

Options
  • 03-07-2017 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a friend (a foreign national) who married an Irish girl in 2007 and moved over here. They split up in 2010 and are due to attend court next week for a divorce hearing. His wife initiated divorce proceedings and has decided that she wants to fight for maintenance, despite them having no children or shared assets (she had a mortgage on a house before he moved over which she has subsequently lost due to non-payment). He works full time in a minimum wage job, her work record over the past number of years has been patchy owing to bouts of depression. She has qualifications and a much greater earning power, and I think she is currently working, yet, at the advice of her free-legal-aid solicitor, is pursuing maintenance. Surely the judge can't award her maintenance in this case? If anyone has had any experience in a similar situation, I'd love to hear from you! Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

There is a lot of patchy information in your post. Your friend will need to speak to a good family law solicitor.

Advertisement