Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch repair

Options
  • 02-07-2017 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Hi folks I left a watch in recently for a battery and spindle which I paid for but the watch is now giving the wrong time the shop want more money to fix it with a slight discount but I'm not happy I expected this to be repaired completely or at least contacted me if there was an issue with the watch after the battery was replaced

Do I have any comeback on this please thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Was the original issue fixed?

Is this a separate issue completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

Was the original issue fixed?

Is this a separate issue completely?

Hi I asked for an estimate to get this watch repaired, they told me it needed a spindle and a battery, and gave me a price ,so I presumed that this would be the price and my watch would be fixed

I have also been advised that If a new battery was fitted they must have known that it was not keeping time , At that time there would be no point fitting a new Stem , and as they had my contact details I should have been contacted

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

How much did they charge you?

Assuming it was less then 10 or 15 euro this could turn out to be a 'he said she said' situation. Nothing is in writing etc.
    I would just take the watch to another jeweller and have them give a quote to get the watch working properly again. If happy with the quote then proceed. Or get another quote from someone else.

Winterlong wrote: »
    How much did they charge you?

Assuming it was less then 10 or 15 euro this could turn out to be a 'he said she said' situation. Nothing is in writing etc.
    I would just take the watch to another jeweller and have them give a quote to get the watch working properly again. If happy with the quote then proceed. Or get another quote from someone else.

Hi Winter i paid 85 euro so far now they want another 200 there making out a new mechanism would be 285 so thus the reduction

I was thinking of trying the Sales and supply of goods act 1980 and going to the small claims court

• Advertisement

Do you have receipts and what does it say? If the receipt says battery etc and they replaced the battery etc then they have done they job you paid for.

I'd agree with getting a quote from somewhere else to see what they say too.

Do you have receipts and what does it say? If the receipt says battery etc and they replaced the battery etc then they have done they job you paid for.

I'd agree with getting a quote from somewhere else to see what they say too.

Hi yes Notjustsweet yes the reciept says that its just that i asked for an estimate for the repair of the watch also If a new battery was fitted they must have known that it was not keeping time , At that time there would be no point fitting a new Stem , and as they had my contact details I should have been contacted

i do appreciate the advice here folks

What is it you want the shop to do?
    They aren't going to do 200 worth of work for free op.

You asked for an estimate and were given one, they did the work, you paid them for the work and gave you a receipt for the work.

What is it you want the shop to do?
    They aren't going to do 200 worth of work for free op.

You asked for an estimate and were given one, they did the work, you paid them for the work and gave you a receipt for the work.

If they had told me it would be 285 euro for the repairs, i would have not bothered to get it done op

remember when i got the watch back it was 3 hours ahead of itself why did they not check this when they put the battery in at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

faolteam wrote: »
    If they had told me it would be 285 euro for the repairs, i would have not bothered to get it done op

remember when i got the watch back it was 3 hours ahead of itself why did they not check this when they put the battery in at least

Surely they put the battery in and the watch worked. I have never had a battery replaced and they check the watch is keeping time over a period. The running fast wouldn't be immediately obvious to the person inserting a battery.

• Advertisement

€85 is a massive amount for a battery change unless you have a very unusual watch and they did waterproofing etc.

It wasn't just a battery there was a spindle crown so they had the watch for a while I didn't just go in and get a battery

This is a dear jewelers but apparently the only agent in Dublin

Ok, €85 for a new crown and battery fitting from an authorised dealer of a brand watch is probably reasonable. Fitting a crown is easy but takes time to find the correct part number, order it, take delivery and then fit it.

And they have now also quoted you a price to solve the mechanical problem that is causing the watch to not accurately tell the time.

The core of your issue is that they will say the €85 original quote was for the crown and battery fitting and that you misinterpreted the quote. And that is a reasonable quote IMO.
    It's back to your word against theirs. If you did peruse this in small claims court I think you would be disappointed.

Advertisement