Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending sterling coins

Options
  • 02-07-2017 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi.
    I live in the Republic and we have amassed about £150 in in 1 and 2 pound coins. We were planning on going up to Sainsburys to spend this. Will i have any issue spending this or will i have to get it changed to notes first. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi.
    I live in the Republic and we have amassed about £150 in in 1 and 2 pound coins. We were planning on going up to Sainsburys to spend this. Will i have any issue spending this or will i have to get it changed to notes first. Thanks

How old are some of the coins, make sure the are still valid

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

Just tips I received in the past 2 years so I'm assuming they are ok.

How old are some of the coins, make sure the are still valid

As in how old is too old!

Just tips I received in the past 2 years so I'm assuming they are ok.

A new 12 sided coin came in last March, The round pound coin will remain in circulation until October 2017.

So if the dates are all ok on coins I could spend them in Newry? Thanks

• Advertisement

So if the dates are all ok on coins I could spend them in Newry? Thanks

Only until October

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hi.

A large amount of coins is seldom welcomed at the checkout, especially for the person next in the queue. I'd pay a visit to to the customer services desk first and see if they will exchange some of them for notes.

Of course if you use one of the self-service machines, you can happily stand there and feed it all day long and there won't be a problem.

The old (round) £1 coin ceases to be legal tender after October 15th next, after that they will be accepted with a lodgement in high street banks but retailers will be within their rights to refuse them. There is no plan to change the £2 coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Inside the main door of Sainsbury's in Newry they have one of those coin sorter machines which convert your coins into notes for a small fee. That might be useful to you if you don't mind paying the small fee.

sitstill wrote: »
    Inside the main door of Sainsbury's in Newry they have one of those coin sorter machines which convert your coins into notes for a small fee. That might be useful to you if you don't mind paying the small fee.

For some of the "small" can be up to 7/8%, there is one at 12.5%

sitstill wrote: »
    Hi. Thanks for that. Just back from sainsburys and the coinsorter machine. Put in £110 in £1 coins and they all came back out. Turns out their coinsorter does not take £1 coins. Customer service desk were of no help so dumped them on the poor woman and checkout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I found 8 old round £1 coins, not legal since 2017. Also one £2 coin.

Can I change them if I pop North? I have no UK bank account. Do I just dump them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I'd say a local charity would be able to find a use for them.

Advertisement