Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptismal question

Options
  • 02-07-2017 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I am sorry if I am repeating a question.

I have a birth cert of an uncle with no name on the birth cert, the district was north city no. 2. Does that refer to where they were born not home address as address is jervis street, Dublin 1.
    Is there a list of parishes on a website where I can find baptismal cert. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

JDERIC2017 wrote: »
    I am sorry if I am repeating a question.
    ... address as address is jervis street, Dublin 1.
    Is there a list of parishes on a website where I can find baptismal cert. thanks.

Catholic parish would most likely be St. Mary's (Pro-Cathedral)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Thank s for the help, will look into that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's possible he was born in Jervis St hospital, but it probably would say hospital then. Under the date of birth, it should say a place. If that is the same as the address under the father's name, then you can infer the child was born at home.

Genealogy Forum Mod

He was born in rotunda hospital, they lived in jervis street for a long time. I have contacted st. Mary's pro cathedral. Thanks all, hopefully will find out more, there was another son that I am looking for and have gone through the gRO books and can't find him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Just following this thread and wondered why the majority of people in the city centre were baptised in the Pro Cathedral? There are many many RC parishes in the area. Halston Street Church is not too far away from Jervis street.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Just following this thread and wondered why the majority of people in the city centre were baptised in the Pro Cathedral? There are many many RC parishes in the area. Halston Street Church is not too far away from Jervis street.

I suspect that this was due to the fact that the parish covered a very populated part of the city, especially before the later parishes like St. Agatha's etc. were established.

St. Andrew's was similar for the south of the city - although probably baptisms little more spread out among due to the parishes in the west of the South city, St. James, St. Nicholas etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Saint Mary's pro-cathedral parish is really three parishes; St Mary's, St Thomas and St George.
    It may also cover other parishes, as Saint Andrew's, Westland Row includes City Quay.
    In both cases the Archbishop is technically the Parish Priest, he had an administrator to run the parishes for him.

The diocese needed a large income for administration, hence the large mensal parishes.

Surely the Pro would not have had any administration in St Mary's, St Thomas and St George's as they are CoI?

St. Mary's RC parish covered the civil parishes of St. Mary, St. Thomas and most of St. George
    St. Andrew's RC parish covered civil parish of St. Andrew, most of St. Mark's and parts of St. Anne's and St. Peter's.

shanew wrote: »
    St. Mary's RC parish covered the civil parishes of St. Mary, St. Thomas and most of St. George
    St. Andrew's RC parish covered civil parish of St. Andrew, most of St. Mark's and parts of St. Anne's and St. Peter's.

Thanks. Always catches me out, civil and religious parishes!

• Advertisement

Update.
    Phoned st. Mary's pro cathedral, they said even numbers are south side of city (south city no. 2). Living in Jervis street at time, any idea what church could have been baptised in. Thanks

JDERIC2017 wrote: »
    Update.
    Phoned st. Mary's pro cathedral, they said even numbers are south side of city (south city no. 2). Living in Jervis street at time, any idea what church could have been baptised in. Thanks

Are you talking about civil registration districts?

Up to !924 or later, there were two Dublin Superintendent Registrar's Districts (SRD). Each of them had dispensary districts no. 1, 2, 3, etc.

Whoever you were talking to in the pro-cathedral may have thought you meant postal districts. With the exception of Dublin 8, which includes Parkgate Street , the Phoenix Park etc, the even numbered postal districts are all south of the river.

Anyone born RC in Jervis Street would generally have been baptised in Saint Mary's pro-cathedral. However there was a tradition for a first child to be baptised in the home parish of the mother. It is just possible that this may be the case here.

It is more likely that it cannot be found due to mistranscription or error.

Thanks. Always catches me out, civil and religious parishes!

It was not just civil parishes. The full title of the pro-cathedral parish seems to have been the Parish of Saint Mary, Saint Thomas and Saint George. I saw this on at least one parish register or similar source. Perhaps it was only one maverick administrator who used this title.

Incidentally, the Church of Ireland parish churches of Saint Mary, Saint Thomas and Saint George have a rich history, sadly much forgotten by our generation.

Saint Mary's, on Mary Street at Jervis Street, is now a pub / restaurant.

Saint Thomas' was demolished in the 1930s for road re-alignment (Cathal Brugha Street) and replaced by a new church 50 yards away. The remains of people buried in the churchyard had to be exhumed and re-interred elsewhere. I recall seeing a newspaper report listing the names of the deceased people whose remains were moved.
    It shows the little value that was placed by independent Ireland on minority religion, and indeed the choice of street name also showed contempt for pro-treaty values.

Saint George's, beside Temple Street Hospital, survived longest. It's bells were a feature of the area until recent times. Indeed I understand the bell-pulling community was drawn from both sides of the denominational divide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

tabbey wrote: »
    However there was a tradition for a first child to be baptised in the home parish of the mother. It is just possible that this may be the case here.

That's really interesting, Tabbey. Where did you come across that?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

pinkypinky wrote: »
    That's really interesting, Tabbey. Where did you come across that?
    I came across it in a particular way: very often a woman returned to her parents' home for the birth of her first child, and the child was baptised in the parish where it was born. The instances that I know were in rural Ireland.

That was always the way, certainly in RC rural Ireland, at least until the great famine era.

Subsequently, with more movement around the country it became less of an issue. If someone was living in Dublin or Liverpool it was too expensive to return to Tipperary or Cavan, prohibitively so in many cases. However it continued in rural areas close to the couple's abode, typically a neighbouring parish.

This probably started because the new mother wanted to be with her mother and sisters for her first confinement, to assist with the delivery. After that they were left to make their own arrangements.

In the case of JDERIC's uncle, this is unlikely to be the case, as it is probably quite recent.

Advertisement