Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimum computer/technology setup

Options
  • 02-07-2017 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I would like to optimize my phone/computer setup to have the maximum facilities for the minimum cost.

1 I use on my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime phone 'pay as you go' (Prepay) from Three.

2. I mainly use a lap-top (Dell Inspiron) for internet use. My Broadband is Vodafone Home Unlimited (contract ends Oct 2017).

3. I use FTA TV, with in the in sitting-room an M Vision receiver and in the bed-room an Ariva 120 Combo

4. I use Netflix on my TV in the sitting room with Chrome-cast.

I would like a more unified set-up, and in particular to use my phone more, as at present I only use it to make phone calls. For texts I use web-text and I use the broadband on my phone only where there is wi-fi.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

on Three PAYG do you have Unlimited Data? You could probably ditch Voda home BB and use the Unlimited data to hotspot to the laptop.

However, most mobile providers have a "fair usage" policy, and a "no tethering" policy.

Fair usage means they'll throttle or cut you off if you hit a certain usage level even though they advertise "unlimited".

No tethering means you aren't supposed to use your phone as a hotspot. I do not know how they detect this kind of usage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

on Three PAYG do you have Unlimited Data? You could probably ditch Voda home BB and use the Unlimited data to hotspot to the laptop.

However, most mobile providers have a "fair usage" policy, and a "no tethering" policy.

Fair usage means they'll throttle or cut you off if you hit a certain usage level even though they advertise "unlimited".

No tethering means you aren't supposed to use your phone as a hotspot. I do not know how they detect this kind of usage.

Essentially they can't tell when you're tethering. I have used upwards of 20GB per month for extended periods on three pay as you go without issue.

However, I wouldn't be so sure if this is the best route for the OP to go down. Most phones only allow 5 devices to connect simultaneously which might technically be serviceable, but I would expect the bandwidth through the phone to be a limiting factor. Coupled with already sketchy download rates on 3's 4g network I just wouldn't be quick to give up the broadband line.

OP, I mean your setup may not be unified, but to me it sounds perfectly serviceable. I don't see a better solution to your TV situation, if you're happy enough with the channels you receive then happy days. I prefer my laptop over my phone for browsing online. And your chromecast is presumably controlled through your phone?

This is the kind of thing that you could certainly throw money at, but whether it would give you much more is the question.

Yep, of course, it was just one option I was throwing out there, but I agree the set up "as-is" seems to be the way most people would be operating - short of an actual TV Sub.

The Chromecast can be utilised for other On Demand services, like All4, which is free in Ireland, RTE, TV3 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭noelfitz

Thank you for all the replies.

I used to favour using a lap-top rather that a phone as my computer. I am interested in (1) broadband, (2) TV, (3) landline and (4) mobile. Currently I use FTA TV, Three PAYG (Prepay) and two boxes Ariva and M Vision for TV, as I previously wrote.

Today I went to some stores, and one was particularly unhelpful telling me my mobile phone was obsolete, only having 8000000000 bytes, seems a lot to me, and it was impossible to remove any apps. A shop that deals with all providers was very helpful and suggested I wait till my contract runs out in Oct and then get a Virgin Media package at 49 EURO per month for Broadband, landline and TV, unless a better offer appears, and stick to the PAYG I have. Cable TV would not differ in price much from FTA.

One of the things I want to do is learn about technology, so I will continue looking and welcome any ideas you have.

In the first case understanding the replies will help, as will studying manuals.

Thanks and regards

Bot42,

I am trying to learn about mobile phones, so I am grateful for replies.

You wrote:

I have unlimited PAYG for 28 days after payment of 20 EURO.

I have been told Three.ie does not allow tethering or use of hotspots. As I use the laptop at home mostly I think considering trying to use hotspots (as I understand them) would not be a good idea for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

noelfitz wrote: »
    Bot42,

I am trying to learn about mobile phones, so I am grateful for replies.

You wrote:

I have unlimited PAYG for 28 days after payment of 20 EURO.

I have been told Three.ie does not allow tethering or use of hotspots. As I use the laptop at home mostly I think considering trying to use hotspots (as I understand them) would not be a good idea for me.

That's because three want to sell you a package catered towards your tablet or other device that you may want to tether and also to make sure their service isn't over saturated by non mobile phone users. Reality is you can tether away. Their fair usage policy is 30GB though.

Alanstrainor,

Thanks.

You wrote:
    However, I wouldn't be so sure if this is the best route for the OP to go down. Most phones only allow 5 devices to connect simultaneously which might technically be serviceable, but I would expect the bandwidth through the phone to be a limiting factor. Coupled with already sketchy download rates on 3's 4g network I just wouldn't be quick to give up the broadband line.

I agree trying to use hotspots might not be best for me.

I really do not understand your post.

I have a laptop and a phone, but linking the two (e.g. for my diary) may not be best for me, since I use the laptop at home, but carry the phone with me, so privacy is a concern (perhaps).

Like you I prefer browsing on my laptop, but this may change if I get familiar with my phone.

I use Netflix on my sitting-room TV with Chromecast, but am considering getting another Chromecast unit for my bedroom.

For my BB I may change from Vodafone to Virgin when my contract runs out, but Three.ie PAYG seems OK, but I haver not considered Virgin.

Finally you wrote
    This is the kind of thing that you could certainly throw money at, but whether it would give you much more is the question.

This is why I am trying to learn about options.

Bot42 #4

Thanks for reassurance.

What advantages would a TV sub have?

I will try to find out more about all4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭leche solara

Remember too that Virgin is not available everywhere

Bot 42

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am still trying to learn. I will look again at tethering and hotspots. Tonight I have been looking at what All4 is.

• Advertisement

All4 is similar to Netflix, and is owned by British TV channel Channel 4, you can watch most of their programs "on demand" (ie, whenever you like, not just when they are on tv at a particular time), it also has content that might not necessarily be shown even on the TV at any stage. They have some good stuff, and it integrates seamlessly with Chromecast.

Personally, I'd abandon the tethering/hotspots idea, using a chromecast under that set-up would be difficult.

A TV Sub would mean paying Sky or Virgin, or Vodafone or Eir, for a subscription to provide channels, rather than relying on Saorview. Again, personally I think that unless you really, really want Sports and/or Movies content that Saorview+Netflix+All4+RTE Player is a good range of entertainment and current affairs content.

Bot42,

Again, sincerest thanks.

I agree with you about my use of tethering/hotspots.

It seems to me that FTA + BB and a subscription may differ little in price, due to special package offers.

I will look at All4 in more detail.

I will try, what you suggest: FTA + Netflix + All4 + RTEPlayer.

Bot42
    You wrote:
    Saorview+Netflix+All4+RTE Player is a good range of entertainment and current affairs content.
    I have been trying to learn about the topics you suggest, and am very pleased.

Many thanks to you and others who replied to me.

Advertisement