Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inappropriate RT

Options
  • 02-07-2017 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear an American Philly bound on the ground at Dublin yesterday use the term "b@llxed" when he was relating to a snag they had to ATC. Wholly inappropriate phraseology.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

No i heard of an aircraft getting a trim down from ATC the other day after he questioned the ATCO,she told him maintain RT discipline he replied saying you too....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Anyone hear an American Philly bound on the ground at Dublin yesterday use the term "b@llxed" when he was relating to a snag they had to ATC. Wholly inappropriate phraseology.

Not an expression I would associate with US English. Must be consorting with the locals in Dublin!

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Not an expression I would associate with US English. Must be consorting with the locals in Dublin!

Thats probably what the engineers told them ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

Can't comment on the aviation specifics of it, but bollixed seems to be a somewhat less offensive term in the US than it is here. At least I've heard it used in business situations that surprised me, especially since Americans are quite careful about not using offensive language normally. Probably should be more careful when in other countries though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Dont forget to call the Daily Mail and sue the airline for psychological trauma... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

plodder wrote: »
    Can't comment on the aviation specifics of it, but bollixed seems to be a somewhat less offensive term in the US than it is here. At least I've heard it used in business situations that surprised me, especially since Americans are quite careful about not using offensive language normally. Probably should be more careful when in other countries though.

Yup. A bit like w@nker. Both very benign terms in US English, although not commonly used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

martinsvi wrote: »
    Dont forget to call the Daily Mail and sue the airline for psychological trauma... :)

I did and they told me I was some bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

In exchanges like this, ATC tends to have the upper hand as they can simply stop the flight. If the use of bad language is simply a one time error, it's no harm but if either a pilot or an ATCo is being rude or aggressive on the air, then they need to be stopped. There's enough stress around in aviation for everyone without adding to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

Yup. A bit like w@nker. Both very benign terms in US English, although not commonly used.
    Personally, I wouldn't recommend calling someone that in the US, much less an ATC controller. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

but if either a pilot or an ATCo is being rude or aggressive on the air, then they need to be stopped
    How exactly are they going to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Bussywussy wrote: »
    No i heard of an aircraft getting a trim down from ATC the other day after he questioned the ATCO,she told him maintain RT discipline he replied saying you too....

Dont suppose you recall the approximate time and channel?

de biz wrote: »
    Dont suppose you recall the approximate time and channel?

Possibly last tues/weds 11am ish

Advertisement