Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal canal greenway city section

Options
  • 02-07-2017 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Just moved to Dublin about a month ago and looking for some insight to cycling along the royal canal from The north strand road. I know the DCC has plans to overhaul the length of the royal canal path to a proper cycle lane but what is the route like currently? Is it cycleable? Is it safe? I've heard the section near broombridge is best avoided.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It's cyclable all the way out from North Strand as far as Castleknock train station. I'd recommend going out early in the morning to avoid the anti-social elements between Croke Park and Ashtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

P_1 wrote: »
    It's cyclable all the way out from North Strand as far as Castleknock train station. I'd recommend going out early in the morning to avoid the anti-social elements between Croke Park and Ashtown.

Walk and cycle the Drumcondra to Ashtown section regularly and have rarely come across any "anti-social elements". The nesting swans are about as dangerous as it gets in daytime anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Walk and cycle the Drumcondra to Ashtown section regularly and have rarely come across any "anti-social elements". The nesting swans are about as dangerous as it gets in daytime anyway.

I've encountered some dodginess between phibsboro and broombridge and between broombridge and ashtown, but mostly on weekend evenings and never too bad- the canal is definitely a popular drinking spot for "anti social elements" but I've never had any real trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I've encountered some dodginess between phibsboro and broombridge and between broombridge and ashtown, but mostly on weekend evenings and never too bad- the canal is definitely a popular drinking spot for "anti social elements" but I've never had any real trouble

I've seen lads out drinking, but encountered zero trouble. There's a couple of guys who seem to meet for a drink at the underpass between Phibsboro and Broombridge, but they're just standing around chatting when you pass.

I don't pass through on the weekend that much though - commute morning and evening from Ashtown to Phibsboro, and never had a problem except a couple of punctures from rusty nails.

I avoid the Drumcondra to North Strand section because of copious amounts of dog****e and glass, and the occasional gang of junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭pummice

its now 2024, so how much of Royal Canal from North Strand to Ashtown can you walk/cycle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You really need to start a new thread. Most of it, lovely route now.

But...they are working on the bit from croke park to cross guns bridge.

On a Sunny day its quite nice. Haven't done it in a while myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Most of the info you need is on

so hopefully no need for another thread or resurrecting old ones 😊

Advertisement