Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these cockroach ootechae?

Options
  • 02-07-2017 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I live in Meath, where I have never heard of anyone seeing a cockroach but I found these in a clean jar I had under my kitchen sink. Is it possible for a cockroach to lay so many oothecae? The maximum time the jar was there was one week. They are just slightly smaller than 1cm in length. They look very like the oothecae I have found on the web. There is no other sign of cockroaches in the house. The reason I think it could be oothecae is because I had a compost caddy in the same cupboard and the lid was open. Thanks for your help. I have to figure out how to post a pic:-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MrsOptimistic

Here's the pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

That is weird. My understanding of the cockroach egg case is that a single female would only produce one at a time, because each one contains many eggs.
    Is it possible that some person put them in there as a prank?
    I would slice one open and see whats inside. It could be also be a larvae or a pupae of some sort.
    A cranefly "leatherjacket" is slightly similar looking, but longer. Maybe something else along those lines.

Actually, I think it could be worse than that. Google "rat poop".
    http://www.wildlife-removal.com/ratpoop.html

Advertisement