Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lcvp

Options
  • 01-07-2017 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi I'm going into fourth year.I'm considering doing lcvp. However I have a few questions about it.

The first is can i do lcvp if I do business in school and economics outside of school ? Will studying business make lcvp easier and how much work has to go into lcvp?
    Will studying eight subjects and lcvp be too much? How much study has to go into lcvp and is lcvp really worth it for 66 points?

At the moment I have six good higher level subjects:Business French biology irish economics and history so is there any point in me doing lcvp?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LLAMAMILK

Hi again!

Can I do lcvp if I do business in school and economics outside of school ?
    There's a certain subject combination you must have to do it. You have the business and economics combination but then again you're not in school doing economics. You'd have to ask your exam secretary or vice principal or whoever in your school deals with subject choices.

Will studying business make lcvp easier and how much work has to go into lcvp?
    Yep. Most of LCVP is just the LC business course bar the portfolio item questions and a few theory things. Basically if you want a merit you can do a "decent" effort on your portfolio and in the exam but if you're looking for a distinction you'd want to be doing all the exam papers ideally and making sure your portfolio is perfect with NO spelling mistakes, size 12 Times New Roman, under 600 words etc etc. It's a pain but it'll be worth it in the end.

Will studying eight subjects and lcvp be too much? How much study has to go into lcvp and is lcvp really worth it for 66 points?
    It would be tough but sure doing 7 subjects is equally as tough. It's REALLY hard to get a distinction in LCVP because you have to have a perfect portfolio with your spin on it. It can't be similar to other peoples.It is worth it if results in you getting a course you otherwise wouldn't have gotten and it's a back up subject in case you have a bad exam in your other subjects.

At the moment I have six good higher level subjects:Business French biology irish economics and history so is there any point in me doing lcvp?
    There's a huge difference between these subjects at junior and senior level. History, Biology and French especially take 10 steps forward in terms of how challenging they become. I'd definitely recommend doing LCVP if it's possible. A lot of people also drop higher Irish in leaving because it's harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

If you're doing a lot of pass subjects then LCVP is a good choice. If you're looking for 500+ points then it's a bit pointless to do it. Only 1 in 10 get the distinction according to the department website...real perfection across the portfolio and exam is needed to pull it off. 50% of students get a merit.

A lot of people say that LCVP is basically pass business with a few extra bits, so if you have a mind for business subjects you should find it very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mandf

A lot of people say that LCVP is basically pass business with a few extra bits, so if you have a mind for business subjects you should find it very handy.[/quote]

Since I like business would i have a good chance of getting a distinction?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LLAMAMILK

Considering 60% goes for the portfolio which consists of a CV, Career Investigation, Summary Report and Enterprise/Action plan, Recorded interview etc etc which isn't really business then no. You need to really make your portfolio seem different even though everyone is writing up on the same topic. Also watch your spelling in how you type to us, you'll definitely get no distinction using a small "i".
    I think you should check these links out:

http://www.pdst.ie/node/2354

Advertisement