Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't install apks!

Options
  • 01-07-2017 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm losing my mind here. I'm trying to download the Showbox apk but when I click the apk file it won't let me hit the "next" button, only the cancel button works.

I have unknown sources activated. I have no screen overlay apps. I went into my user settings and disabled all apps that have screen overlay permissions. I turned the brightness all the way up, i turned the phone landscape, i increased the font size and restarted it! That's all google has to offer!

I tried a apk install unlocker too.

Any tips? It's driving me mad!

I have an Xperia X, 7.1.1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭DopeTech

rawn wrote: »
    Hi. I'm losing my mind here. I'm trying to download the Showbox apk but when I click the apk file it won't let me hit the "next" button, only the cancel button works.

I have unknown sources activated. I have no screen overlay apps. I went into my user settings and disabled all apps that have screen overlay permissions. I turned the brightness all the way up, i turned the phone landscape, i increased the font size and restarted it! That's all google has to offer!

I tried a apk install unlocker too.

Any tips? It's driving me mad!

I have an Xperia X, 7.1.1
    Maybe go into Google settings and check the security menu. You may have "less secure apps" turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Do you have an apps like Lux that change the screen or use an overlay? For me changing screen overlay permissions doesn't work. I have to turn the lux app off in order to install anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Go to Settings > Lock Screen & Security > and turn Unknown Sources to On.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Do you have an apps like Lux that change the screen or use an overlay? For me changing screen overlay permissions doesn't work. I have to turn the lux app off in order to install anything.
    Go to Settings > Lock Screen & Security > and turn Unknown Sources to On.

Did either of you read the OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

FrostyJim wrote:
    Did either of you read the OP?

Clearly not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Do a factory reset and then stamp on your phone 5 times... Worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

The first thing I would suggest is attempting to install another apk from a secure source. Will help id I'd it is a problem with your phone or just one apk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

The first thing I would suggest is attempting to install another apk from a secure source. Will help id I'd it is a problem with your phone or just one apk

Thanks, I've tried a few apks with the same issue. With the button unlocker app i installed it actually shows me a little lock sign over the button I need, but it doesn't unlock it!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

rawn wrote:
    Thanks, I've tried a few apks with the same issue. With the button unlocker app i installed it actually shows me a little lock sign over the button I need, but it doesn't unlock it!

Is the memory full

robbie67 wrote: »
    Is the memory full

No, plenty of storage on device and SD card

• Advertisement

Has to be an app you've installed blocking it.

You're going to have to try to work through uninstalling different apps until you find the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Have you Lookout Security & Antivirus on the phone?

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Have you Lookout Security & Antivirus on the phone?

I don't. I have AVG, which I disabled. I was able to see a list of apps that use overlays and I turned off the permissions on each of them. Really don't know what's causing it, maybe it's the new update? 7.1.1? I haven't installed an apk in a while but I can't be sure, I haven't installed anything new in a while anyways.

rawn wrote: »
    I don't. I have AVG, which I disabled. I was able to see a list of apps that use overlays and I turned off the permissions on each of them. Really don't know what's causing it, maybe it's the new update? 7.1.1? I haven't installed an apk in a while but I can't be sure, I haven't installed anything new in a while anyways.

If you know how to do a logcat, you could try taking a log when trying to install an app and share to here. It will probably say what's blocking it.

HALLELUJAH!

I got it. I had a theme on my phone that I got from the play store, I've had it installed so long I forgot it was something that was installed. I uninstalled it and it worked immediately.

Time to sleep. Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Sounds dangerous. I've had the issue where I can't sideload before and that was due to a screen dimming overlay. If a theme was overlaying, there's a possibility of it harvesting whatever was on your screen the whole time. Not saying it happened nor that it was malicious, but I'd be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Holy threadbump. Hope they had no issues after!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

ha, I hadnt noticed. Was just replying to a thread at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

OP was trying to install Showbox, ahh simpler times.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
Advertisement