Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen breaker can't handle load

Options
  • 01-07-2017 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭

When I put dishwasher, washing machine a d kettle on at the same time this yoke trips

Can I replace it with one that will handle more current?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

long_b wrote: »
    When I put dishwasher, washing machine a d kettle on at the same time this yoke trips

Perhaps I could be replaced, an assessment would have to be carried out first.
    If it was my house I would prefer to reduce the load on that circuit.

It would be best to get a registered electrical contractor to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

long_b wrote:

More than likely you can't you would have to add in a new circuit
    2011 wrote:

Agree, If any work is being done in the fuse board you legally have to get a registered electrician to complete the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sparks365

2011 wrote: »
    Perhaps I could be replaced, an assessment would have to be carried out first.
    If it was my house I would prefer to reduce the load on that circuit.

Good advise,
    The only other chance you would have is if it was a ring circuit fused at 20amps. this could be upgraded to 32amps. but like said here best get a registered electrician to have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bscan86

Worth investigating if there are more than 1 circuits on the mcb. Sometimes 2 circuits could be joined together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Now every time someone turns the lights or cooker on or off the kitchen TV screen goes black for a second.
    Would this be related?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

The "yoke" can only handle 4600 watts. Depending on the wattages of the appliances you would be very close to the maximum using the dishwasher, washing machine and kettle at the same time so the "yoke" is just doing it's job.

Simple solution...don't use the dishwasher, washing machine and kettle at the same time.

Expensive solution...upgrade cable and "yoke".

In regards to your TV..do you have LED lights and what type of oven do you have? Does the oven only affect the TV when the lights are already on?

aido79 wrote: »
    The "yoke" can only handle 4600 watts. Depending on the wattages of the appliances you would be very close to the maximum using the dishwasher, washing machine and kettle at the same time so the "yoke" is just doing it's job.

Simple solution...don't use the dishwasher, washing machine and kettle at the same time.

Expensive solution...upgrade cable and "yoke".

In regards to your TV..do you have LED lights and what type of oven do you have? Does the oven only affect the TV when the lights are already on?

Thanks for the reply aido
    The TV flickers when regular CFL lights are turned on.
    I'll check the oven interaction shortly

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Thanks for the reply aido
    The TV flickers when regular CFL lights are turned on.
    I'll check the oven interaction shortly

Do you know the wattage and brand of the CFL's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Turn off the breaker that's tripping and see if any of the other sockets in the kitchen have power. It could be that there's two circuits feeding the kitchen, but you have everything plugged into one. Sometimes moving the kettle to a different plug/counter can help eliminate this problem!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

• Advertisement

Haven't had it trip I'm a while as we're avoiding using them all at the same time.
    The annoying thing now is the TV. Also that the extension is new and the electrician seems to have under specified the thing

Thanks for your help all

Advertisement