Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borrowing a campervan...insurance

Options
  • 01-07-2017 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

A friend has offered us a lend of his campervan for a few days in the near future. Does anyone know what the usual procedure would be for insurance in these circumstances?My OH, full licence, would be the driver. He is currently the named driver on my car policy, while I'm on a provisional licence. We just need for him to be insured to drive the camper while we have it. Is this something that would require something from our insurance company, or would our friend need to temporarily add him to his policy?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,858 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Ask your friend what his policy is. He may have open driving, eg anyone over 25 with a full licence is insured in it.

Any amendments will have to be made on your friend's policy. There can't be two policies on the same vehicle. In that case you could ring up, insure someone's camper/car whatever "borrow" it, wreck it and claim for it!

Have a chat with your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I am aware of a camper insurance policy available through the Motor Caravan Club, on which you can list a second individual as an "occasional driver" for a fairly reasonable fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Either get him named on moterhome policy or pay for upgrade to opendrive on motorhome policy. We have open drive and it was only about 50 quid extra for year from memory

Advertisement