Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Saluki the right Dog for us?

Options
  • 30-06-2017 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi - Can a Saluki person advise if this is a good idea please:

We are looking at getting a male Saluki (1 year old) from a dog rescue. He’s a nice chap with a timid temperament, and doesn’t bark.
    We live in an urban, medium sized terraced house with a medium paved garden (6ft walls) and a big shed.
    There are lots of green areas locally for him to be walked in, and for him have a good gallop.
    We have boy who’s almost 4.
    Dog would be alone from 9am-2pm each working day.

Good idea/ bad idea?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

From what you have posted cant see why not. My experience is mainly with greyhounds but I know from a fb group that I'm in that Salukis and Saluki xs can be excellent pets.

Just be aware that they may not be the best dog to be let off lead as their recall can be poor and needs a lot of work to make it effective.

I assume the dog will be kept in doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Inexile wrote: »
    From what you have posted cant see why not. My experience is mainly with greyhounds but I know from a fb group that I'm in that Salukis and Saluki xs can be excellent pets.

Just be aware that they may not be the best dog to be let off lead as their recall can be poor and needs a lot of work to make it effective.

I assume the dog will be kept in doors.

As above, it sounds like an excellent match, just be aware that you're best to only let a sighthound off the lead in an enclosed area as their recall is generally crap :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

Thanks- any experience of how this breed are with kids?
    Our little boy is almost 4 (and will be gentle with the dog)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

pmcc1 wrote: »
    Thanks- any experience of how this breed are with kids?
    Our little boy is almost 4 (and will be gentle with the dog)

Can be touch and go for each individual. We've had two foster salukis through our doors - one was childproof and literally a human soul in a dog's body. The other was a bit more skittish and generally wary but no instant aggression either. Once you ensure that your child doesn't give him a reason to snap, things should be fine.

Find out if the dog is crate trained and if so, set up a quiet, safe place for him to go that your child will NOT be allowed near. Also, baby gates. Errrrrwhere :pac:

Advertisement