Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does An Post open envelopes sent to international destinations?

Options
  • 30-06-2017 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm sending a friend residing in South America an envelope containing a personal letter, and honestly, really wouldn't like it if it was opened. An Post's website states that international packages require a CN22 label, and that packages may be opened. Should I worry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

veglord wrote: »
    I'm sending a friend residing in South America an envelope containing a personal letter, and honestly, really wouldn't like it if it was opened. An Post's website states that international packages require a CN22 label, and that packages may be opened. Should I worry?

The post office will give you the CN22 label when you're buying the stamp. They wont open a random letter. You have nothing to worry about. Customs are interested in packages etc, not envelopes containing letters.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

An Post won't. Customs in the destination country might

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

A cn22 is needed for a packet or parcel so if you're just sending a letter not needed. Nor is anything opened unless it creates an obvious issue. All incoming and outgoing packets and parcels go through a scanner. Letters are automated in the main

Advertisement