Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasnevin - an appreciation

Options
  • 29-06-2017 10:35pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For years, I've only purchased records intermittantly from Glasnevin because €8 a go isn't cheap, but having had some really good success when other people were paying (i.e. clients), I've started to search for my own ancestors. Only those whose date of death is already known, to eliminate the chance of mistakes.

I've found a wealth of extra information including but not limited to: the discovery of 3 extra children in one family, a whole new branch of another, and tonight, the date of death of my incredibly commonly-named gg grandmother, Elizabeth Reilly.

I won't be adding up my spending on their site any time soon but I'm really glad it exists. :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Agree 100% pinky.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Yes, just wish it was a bit cheaper as I don't want to pay high fees for a wrong match. Wish there was a subcription plan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, no one would disapprove of them lowering the fees, but to get details of everyone in the grave for €8 is good value. I got one recently that had 8 people in it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

They offer refunds if you get the wrong record.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Since I started genealogy, I have had my fill of institutions who are unhelpful, to put it mildly.

Glasnevin quickly revealed itself to be the best. From the gravediggers and the staff in the restaurant to Lynn Brady, the late Shane Mac Thomais, Conor Dodd and John Gibney, not to forget the reception staff et al, Glasnevin people have always been pleasant,courteous and helpful.

Like everybody else, I would not say no to a price reduction, but I consider Glasnevin charges to be reasonable, and it is a good cause.

Three cheers for Glasnevin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 dom101

+1 from me (First Post but long time reader of this forum)

I was stuck tracing my wifes family in Dublin until I requested the burial record for a relative I knew died in 1910. There were 8 in the plot so it but me back on the correct path again. It is always worth getting the full plot record.

If only there was a similar service for other cemeteries. Most of my relations on 1 side are buried in St Joseph's cemetery in Cork. I have tracked down 20 relatives to a single plot thanks to the records being freely available on the Cork Archives website. they also offer a limited free search for more recent records which is very helpful. But it can take weeks to get a response.

It is laborious work reading through burial records I have a read through the records for their every few months and nearly always find new people. I'd love a service like the one offered by Glasnevin. Could be a new business for someone to go documenting all burials and collating the information like Glasnevin have done :)

Advertisement