Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert economics

Options
  • 29-06-2017 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi I am going to do leaving cert economics outside of school.I just have a few questions about it
    The first is how hard is economics? Would I be able to get an A or B doing it totally by myself for two years ?
    I am also going to do business.Does business overlap with economics? Does studying business make economics easier? Is economics all rote learning like business?
    What is the best economics book to buy and where can I get good economic notes? Would economics take away time from any other subjects?

Finally apart from music and applied maths are there any easier and better subjects to do outside of school other than economics? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LLAMAMILK

Hey!

How hard is economics?
    I'm not going to lie and say it's easy. Every subject is a challenge. It is tough enough in the micro section to get your head around concepts, but once you go through them over and over and ask questions it's easier. I'd say costs of production, labour, capital and money and banking are the toughest chapters. It really just requires a lot of thinking and isn't common sense like business. What I'm trying to say is it's more of an understanding and getting to grips with subject. I taught myself half of the micro topics in 4th year but found it hard enough learning it by myself and had to ask my dad for help a fair amount of the time as I couldn't understand the book. But now it makes so much more sense learning it in school as I was fortunate enough to get the subject running with 6 others.

Would I be able to get an A or B doing it totally by myself for two years ?
    Yes, a B definitely (H3). Economics is very to the point which is great. You don't need long enough answers like business. However to get an A would be extremely hard because 1) nobody can predict what will appear or how you'll feel on the day, and 2) unfortunately, topical stuff appears every year which nobody can fully prepare for. This year's paper especially showed how you really had to use your head. I myself struggle with thinking outside the box.

I am also going to do business.Does business overlap with economics?

Yes. They overlap to a certain extent. Mostly in macro which we haven't done so I can't comment onhow much but definitely they do.

Does studying business make economics easier? Is economics all rote learning like business?
    I wouldn't really say it does. They're two completely different subjects.

What is the best economics book to buy and where can I get good economic notes? Would economics take away time from any other subjects?
    To be honest, I have Positive Economics. It's not really a great book but the others are worse and older. I think there's only one other book apart from it. There's quite a lot of mistakes according to my teacher in it. It's good for doing questions at the end of the chapter and it has all the definitions at the back of the book, but for diagrams, especially the markets, it's just a no no. What I do is I use the businessguys.ie. They have notes on all the Economics chapters and they're great. I also printed off all the marking schemes to the past papers. This is great because you get an idea of what is being asked and how many points you need to give. I personally think it would slightly effect other subjects as you would need to study it at least 1 day in the week and give it as much time as the others. It is a short course, but there's a lot of different ways things can be asked and 1000000 times more understanding to be done than business.

Finally apart from music and applied maths are there any easier and better subjects to do outside of school other than economics?
    Not really. Geography is easy but there's a project and SO MUCH learning. Music would be good to take up if you play an instrument to a good standard. Applied maths is quite challenging from what I heard, especially if you do ordinary maths and don't have a natural ability. Then again, it could be easy for someone else etc etc.

Sorry this isn't the best. Hope I helped you. I'm going into 6th year and I do Business and Economics so if you need any more help feel free to PM me!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mandf

LLAMAMILK wrote: »
    Hey!

How hard is economics?
    I'm not going to lie and say it's easy. Every subject is a challenge. It is tough enough in the micro section to get your head around concepts, but once you go through them over and over and ask questions it's easier. I'd say costs of production, labour, capital and money and banking are the toughest chapters. It really just requires a lot of thinking and isn't common sense like business. What I'm trying to say is it's more of an understanding and getting to grips with subject. I taught myself half of the micro topics in 4th year but found it hard enough learning it by myself and had to ask my dad for help a fair amount of the time as I couldn't understand the book. But now it makes so much more sense learning it in school as I was fortunate enough to get the subject running with 6 others.

Would I be able to get an A or B doing it totally by myself for two years ?
    Yes, a B definitely (H3). Economics is very to the point which is great. You don't need long enough answers like business. However to get an A would be extremely hard because 1) nobody can predict what will appear or how you'll feel on the day, and 2) unfortunately, topical stuff appears every year which nobody can fully prepare for. This year's paper especially showed how you really had to use your head. I myself struggle with thinking outside the box.

I am also going to do business.Does business overlap with economics?

Yes. They overlap to a certain extent. Mostly in macro which we haven't done so I can't comment onhow much but definitely they do.

Does studying business make economics easier? Is economics all rote learning like business?
    I wouldn't really say it does. They're two completely different subjects.

To be honest, I have Positive Economics. It's not really a great book but the others are worse and older. I think there's only one other book apart from it. There's quite a lot of mistakes according to my teacher in it. It's good for doing questions at the end of the chapter and it has all the definitions at the back of the book, but for diagrams, especially the markets, it's just a no no. What I do is I use the businessguys.ie. They have notes on all the Economics chapters and they're great. I also printed off all the marking schemes to the past papers. This is great because you get an idea of what is being asked and how many points you need to give. I personally think it would slightly effect other subjects as you would need to study it at least 1 day in the week and give it as much time as the others. It is a short course, but there's a lot of different ways things can be asked and 1000000 times more understanding to be done than business.

Finally apart from music and applied maths are there any easier and better subjects to do outside of school other than economics?
    Not really. Geography is easy but there's a project and SO MUCH learning. Music would be good to take up if you play an instrument to a good standard. Applied maths is quite challenging from what I heard, especially if you do ordinary maths and don't have a natural ability. Then again, it could be easy for someone else etc etc.

Sorry this isn't the best. Hope I helped you. I'm going into 6th year and I do Business and Economics so if you need any more help feel free to PM me!! :o

Just a quick question.Are micro topics in both business and economics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Mandf wrote: »
    Just a quick question.Are micro topics in both business and economics?

Not really. Just the consumer but at that, business looks at consumer law whereas economics looks at marginal utility and the spending habits of consumers.

Business and economics more so over overlap at the macro section. Things like International Trade, Taxation, Interest Rates, Goverment, etc. Overlap a little bit but not hugely.

Economics is a very short course and could easily be covered in a year but it's not as easy as everyone makes it out to be. Some topics can be very challenging. I'd advise doing to whole course though, don't just do micro and leave macro out like a lot of people do. It'll make life much harder on the day of the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mandf

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Not really. Just the consumer but at that, business looks at consumer law whereas economics looks at marginal utility and the spending habits of consumers.

Business and economics more so over overlap at the macro section. Things like International Trade, Taxation, Interest Rates, Goverment, etc. Overlap a little bit but not hugely.

Economics is a very short course and could easily be covered in a year but it's not as easy as everyone makes it out to be. Some topics can be very challenging. I'd advise doing to whole course though, don't just do micro and leave macro out like a lot of people do. It'll make life much harder on the day of the exam.
    Would u need to get grinds to do the harder sections of economics?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LLAMAMILK

No. You just might need to look things up on the internet or use different websites if something is too hard or unclear in one book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

Hey guys, I just finished sixth year and I did economics (more like economics did me lol) and here's my two cents.

As an eighth subject, it is probably your best bet. Applied maths is hit and miss, as is music.

You definitely dont need a grinds teacher for the more difficult parts, theyre explained relatively well in textbooks and online.

If you want a C, just do micro. If youre looking for an A or a B, you really should do macro as well. The course is very short.

All of the books are bad. I had "Leaving Cert Economics" which wasnt great but did the job. The Less Stress book is actually really good, but cant be used without a textbook.

The subject isnt hard. No leaving cert subject is easy, but it's the easiest of a hard bunch.

Best of luck💯

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

It's a really doable subject.
    I think depending on your ability a H1 is very attainable, I have just finished fifth year and I have not learnt anything new tbh, if you have a good knowledge or interest in Economics/current affairs you'll know most of the course already.
    There definitely is an overlap between business and economics, things you learn in business are assumed to be know in economics so the combination definitely makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 achan21

Hi
    I was wondering if it would be hard for me to pick up economics after Christmas, I'm thinking of dropping music for it, but I'm also thinking of doing geography.
    I did business for my junior cert and I was wondering if that would be any benefit to me.
    Thanks

Advertisement