Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission - Garage conversion & House extension

Options
  • 29-06-2017 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi

I want to (1) convert a garage (attached to side of house) into living space, (2) kitchen extension at back of house and (3) extension at back of the garage to align boundary with extended kitchen. I am not sure whether planning permission is required or not for all the work. I am seeking help from anyone who has detailed knowledge of planning permission to provide more clarity on this matter.

Detailed change/work involved and doubts
    (1) is about 14 sqm, currently a garage. I want to convert it to living space which involves also replace the garage door to a window.

My understanding is this is exempt from planning permission, but I am not sure if this converted living space takes up the 40 sqm exemption limit or it can be treated as standard alone 25 sqm garage exemption limit.

(2) about 20 sqm. I am pretty sure this extension is exempt because it is within 40 sqm limit.

(3) about 20 sqm. This extension will be at back of garage, i.e. to the side of the house. I am not sure if this 20 sqm forms part of the normal 40 sqm exemption limit, my feeling is this would require planning permission.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

lightroom wrote: »
    Hi

I want to (1) convert a garage (attached to side of house) into living space, (2) kitchen extension at back of house and (3) extension at back of the garage to align boundary with extended kitchen. I am not sure whether planning permission is required or not for all the work. I am seeking help from anyone who has detailed knowledge of planning permission to provide more clarity on this matter.

Detailed change/work involved and doubts
    (1) is about 14 sqm, currently a garage. I want to convert it to living space which involves also replace the garage door to a window.

My understanding is this is exempt from planning permission, but I am not sure if this converted living space takes up the 40 sqm exemption limit or it can be treated as standard alone 25 sqm garage exemption limit.

(2) about 20 sqm. I am pretty sure this extension is exempt because it is within 40 sqm limit.

(3) about 20 sqm. This extension will be at back of garage, i.e. to the side of the house. I am not sure if this 20 sqm forms part of the normal 40 sqm exemption limit, my feeling is this would require planning permission.

Thanks

Requires planning im afraid, the existing 14m2 is taken from the 40m2 limit, therefore what you are proposing is over by the 14m2. I am open to correction here but I am pretty sure that as you are removing the garage door and replacing it with a window that you would need planning as you are altering the front elevation. Also there are other criteria that must be met to fall under the exempt bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lightroom

Thanks Jimmy. If the garage is not converted, would extension to the side of house be covered by 40sqm exemption limit?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Planning required. Total amount of exempted works cannot exceed the 40.
    To the rear of the garage could be deemed the side of the property and thus requiring planning on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lightroom

Thanks, it's clear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭cyrils foxpit

My home was reconstructed and extended in 2000 (was just a shack before that so home was rebuilt). would I still need to apply for planning permission for an extension under 40sqm as the house was reconstructed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My home was reconstructed and extended in 2000 (was just a shack before that so home was rebuilt). would I still need to apply for planning permission for an extension under 40sqm as the house was reconstructed

Depends on how much it was 'extended' by in 2000.

Advertisement