Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of mind

Options
  • 29-06-2017 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

So change of mind closes on July 1st at 5:15 so I am obviously now questioning my choice order. I would rather stay in Dublin for a number of reasons - family, friends, finances, etc (all the f's) - so I have UCD, RCSI, UCC as my order of preference. What's everyone else thinking? Anyone else having a last-minute change of heart?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 trickski

Hi ! 
    I'm so torn between UCD and RCSI at the moment :/ Do you mind me asking what made you choose UCD over RCSI? I've heard the UCD teaching hospitals are superior to those affiliated with RCSI which would obviously make a difference..

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Best of luck with your choices! Hope I'll be in the same position next year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cloudmed

trickski wrote: »
    Hi ! 
    I'm so torn between UCD and RCSI at the moment :/ Do you mind me asking what made you choose UCD over RCSI? I've heard the UCD teaching hospitals are superior to those affiliated with RCSI which would obviously make a difference..

I'm torn, too. I went to the RCSI open day before Christmas and I was extremely impressed by how they organised the day, so it's made me question my choices a lot. RCSI also have their swanky new building opening soon. Rock and a hard place!

The reason I chose UCD is it is easier for me to get to, and I figure if I've to stay late studying or whatever I'd rather be somewhere closer. For what it's worth, I reckon the level of teaching you receive in each school is comparable. Everyone graduates into the same pool, so they'd have to be somewhat on the same level overall. I've even heard that smaller hospitals (like Connolly and regional hospitals, etc) give better teaching due to level of time that docs can give to students, over the larger ones like UCD's main ones the Mater & St Vincent's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 trickski

cloudmed wrote: »
    Hi ! 

I'm torn, too. I went to the RCSI open day before Christmas and I was extremely impressed by how they organised the day, so it's made me question my choices a lot. RCSI also have their swanky new building opening soon. Rock and a hard place!

The reason I chose UCD is it is easier for me to get to, and I figure if I've to stay late studying or whatever I'd rather be somewhere closer. For what it's worth, I reckon the level of teaching you receive in each school is comparable. Everyone graduates into the same pool, so they'd have to be somewhat on the same level overall. I've even heard that smaller hospitals (like Connolly and regional hospitals, etc) give better teaching due to level of time that docs can give to students, over the larger ones like UCD's main ones the Mater & St Vincent's.
    I visited RCSI a few days ago and the new building is absolutely stunning :O I'm not sure though how much time we'd actually get to spend in the building since it seems to be mainly located at Sandyford and the Connolly Hospital. That's really interesting about the smaller hospitals, I've been advised to stick to larger ones. I guess if you live close to UCD that makes the choice easier.. I'm not going to live far from the main RCSI building but it will still be quite a commute to both UCD and the RCSI locations.

I visited RCSI a few days ago and the new building is absolutely stunning :O I'm not sure though how much time we'd actually get to spend in the building since it seems to be mainly located at Sandyford and the Connolly Hospital. That's really interesting about the smaller hospitals, I've been advised to stick to larger ones. I guess if you live close to UCD that makes the choice easier.. I'm not going to live far from the main RCSI building but it will still be quite a commute to both UCD and the RCSI locations.

At the RCSI open day they said that the GEM class starting in 2017 would be based in Stephen's Green for 1st year and then to Connolly. They said they will be converting the Mercer library to the new GEM building as they have a new huge library in the building. It might be worth confirming that with them if it's not far from you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭inca2

Honestly, don't dwell on it - choose the college it's going to be easiest for you to get to. You'll thank yourself.

As for the hospitals, it's hard to make a generalisation. Excellent teachers and ones who couldn't give a damn in all of them. It doesn't really matter. You have to make the best of wherever you go. As someone has said on these forums previously, most of your learning will be on the job as a doctor anyway.

inca2 wrote: »
    Honestly, don't dwell on it - choose the college it's going to be easiest for you to get to. You'll thank yourself.

This was my exact reason for choosing UCD first! I didn't end up changing from my original decision as I think I'd regret it if I did.

Advertisement