Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea and billing address

Options
  • 29-06-2017 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭

I need to buy an item over the phone from Ikea Belfast which I will collect from their store once it's delivered to them. They won't let a card be used without a Belfast postcode for the billing address. Can I use a friends address as my billing address when using my card to pay for the item? Will this cause an issue with the payment going through?

Is there a prepay card that I can set up to use instead if there's an issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CC processors normally check name, exp date and county (eircode is new) for us so using Belfast may trip your card up. You can try and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'll give it a shot. It's been a nightmare trying to get this item ordered. They made it discontinued in Ireland after we had put in the order request but before they had ordered the item in for us.
    They had then told us we could travel to the Belfast store to order it and make another trip to come back to collect it.
    Now they have ordered the item to the Belfast store but have told us we need to pay over the phone using a credit card with a registered billing address in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Why the insistence that the billing address be in Belfast? They're quite happy to accept ROI cards in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

I use any number of billing addresses with my card as suits the situation i'm in and never had a problem. Yes, some CC providers might block the transaction but they might not.

Just try it and see what happens. Let us know!

seagull wrote: »
    Why the insistence that the billing address be in Belfast? They're quite happy to accept ROI cards in store.

I've no idea, it's something they are insisting on. Keep getting different answers from different people in Ikea though. I don't want to have to make two trips to them to both purchase and then collect.

• Advertisement

I received this by email on the 28th of June from an Ikea customer rep:
    I have arranged for a charge and send of this item. The call centre will contact to take payment for this item when it arrives. The item is due to be delivered to store 3/7/17. A member of our IKEA Belfast store will contact you when the item arrive.

I rang customer service today to see if item was ready to collect, as it's four days overdue. They said it hasn't shipped yet as it hasn't been paid for. When I told her that I had an email telling me I would have to pay when item arrived in Belfast she said item has to be paid for before it ships to Belfast, contradicting the email I received. It was down in the system to call me on three occasions but they said they were too busy and hadn't gotten around to ringing me for payment.

Pretty dreadful customer service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

seagull wrote: »

Pin number required instore thus protecting the retailer.

"card not present" transactions put 100% responsibility onto retailer. Basic security will do an address/postcode match, so a uk issued card is required for phone transactions.

Advertisement