Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending TP-LINK TL-WPA8630 Powerline Kit

Options
  • 29-06-2017 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, bought a TP-LINK TL-WPA8630 Powerline Kit (http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/tplink-tlwpa8630-powerline-kit-twin-pack/334448/402.0.3) a whiles back to extend our wireless network via powerline. Expensive but works really well, speed in a room where wireless was previously not detected is the same as I get standing next to the router.

So very happy with the result and want to extend upstairs. Only problem is I can't seem to buy an adaptor on it's own despite at the time of purchase being told that wouldn't be a problem. Am I missing something? Checked the TP Link site as well it's only listed as a kit. Their faqs give a howto for adding a new adaptor but no mention of what type.

Is it possible to buy just the adapter? Haven't found it listed on it's own anywhere. Or do they expect you to buy an entire kit again? Seems really odd that they give instructions for adding adaptors but then don't sell them on their own?

If that's not an option can anyone recommend an alternative I can add to the network?

Or third option a recommendation just to boost the signal from the router. Downstairs the main problem was two 3 foot thick walls between the router and an extension where most access is required. Upstairs get an ok signal in most of the rooms (can be flaky now and then). One or two rooms get nothing. Maybe a repeater on the landing (router is in the hall) would do the job?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wow, bricks and mortar premium but still, €170 vs €108 on Amazon.
    Wired connections
    -Sender (TL-PA8010P): Ethernet port x 3
    -Reciever (TL-WPA8630): Ethernet port x 1  

WPA8630 should be available as a single, the previous generations would always be but I cant find one.

As a substitute this should do equally well as you're HPs wont be anywhere near 1200 anyways.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerline-Broadband-Configuration-UK-TL-WPA4220/dp/B00DEYDF8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499034991&sr=8-1&keywords=TP+Link+powerline+single

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Cheers Ed, yeah I know, massive difference in price. Main concern was 3 foot thick walls in places so wanted some comeback if there was problems. First purchase which was a Devolo Kit didn't work at all.

Thanks for the suggestion, went ahead and ordered one. Happy with the TP-Link brand on the current set up although think it's really dumb they aren't selling the adaptor separately. Hopefully the WPA4220 will slot in without and compatibility issues.

Advertisement