Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Torn undercarriage

Options
  • 29-06-2017 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

HI All,

Just looking a bit of advice - have a 132 BMW 520D. Was coming up the ramp of an apartment block car park and the piece of the gate that sticks up from the ground to catch the gates tore the undercarriage of the car. It seems to be just the fibreglass but it's flapping down and catching on ramps etc. I have booked it in for Monday morning but does anyone know of a temporary fix over the weekend?

tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hard to say without pics but can you just duct tape the fibreglass for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cable ties! Assuming it's just an aerodynamic cover

<not helping>

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

colm_mcm wrote: »

And/or Duct tape. The most useful parts of any tool box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

<not helping>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

colm_mcm wrote: »

This.

Happened to me in a low sports car on the ring of Kerry. The garage I bought the car off refused to buy the part and fixed it with cable ties. They just couldn't justify the price of the part. On my behalf!! Honest bunch. Didn't charge me, but I couldn't have done it myself without a lift. Car was low to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

<not helping>

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nordyindublin

Thanks - won't let me put up a photo as I'm just new - was able to tuck it up in temporarily - seems that the metal work is slightly crunched too! Gutted - literally did it less than 24 hours after I bought the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tphase

Thanks - won't let me put up a photo as I'm just new - was able to tuck it up in temporarily - seems that the metal work is slightly crunched too! Gutted - literally did it less than 24 hours after I bought the car!

cost me the guts of E150 to replace one on a 08 520D :(
    I'd get it up on a ramp and see if it's repairable

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nordyindublin

got it sorted - left it into Bloomfield Garage on SCR. €70+VAt to repair - said if I do it again will need replacement undercarriage - just for reference Gorilla Tape from Halfords is a great temporary holder!

• Advertisement
Advertisement