Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place to live in Dublin?

Options
  • 28-06-2017 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I've just signed a contract to start a new job in the docklands area in Dublin in about a month's time. So now I get to have the undoubtedly wonderful experience of trying to find a place to live in Dublin... 😅 And I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.

I'd prefer a place of my own, but I wouldn't mind sharing if it's with a maximum of 2-3 people and they are not noisy party animals. Of course close to the docklands (<~ 30 minute walk) would be amazing, but I'm essentially happy as long as I wouldn't have to spend more than 30-40 minutes commuting to get to work at 9AM.

The problem I'm foreseeing is that decent places in Dublin are few and far between, and many landlords don't even seem to find it necessary to upload pictures of the places onto websites like Daft.ie. I also live up in Letterkenny at the moment, which is about a 4 hour bus ride to Dublin, so it's not all that easy for me to get down to Dublin at a moment's notice to go and view an appartment.

I'd be aiming for around the ~€800/m mark, up to €950/m maximum, or up to €750/m for sharing. Does this sound reasonable enough?

Would anyone happen to have any advice for me as to where to start and on how to find a decent place, or how to make sure I end up with decent housemates if I end up sharing?
    Should I just keep roaming Daft.ie and hope to come across something, or are there better ways to go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Realistically for those sorts of prices, you'd be looking at a studio/bedsit, and probably a fairly grubby one at that. You'd be much better off sharing, if you want to find somewhere decent enough to live with a short enough commute.

Finding a room in Dublin can be pretty tough. Often you've to view quite a few before you are "chosen" by the other housemates to take the room. So I would really recommend getting some temporary accommodation, be it with a friend or Airbnb, and doing your property search from there. Travelling up and down from letterkenny for multiple viewings would be a right pain.

Also, when you go to view a place, make sure you have references and your deposit with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

950 will get you a bedsit of some sort near the city centre, however you'll be lucky to get one within a month as these places are most in demand and people a lining up for them.

€750 sharing will give you a **** ton of options. Daft is the only way to go.

Definitely bring references with you, but I don't agree with having the deposit, I have found that to be unnecessary. No one in my experience decides on the spot to give you a flat/room just because you can pay up a deposit. They don't need to, they have dozens and dozens of other people interested if you don't pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Someone point me to these single occupancy units for less than a grand?

Op, try sharing in East Wall, you'll get something there for 700. I don't see you doing better than Eastwall. For what you need, a gem really. Anywhere else within 30 mins walk you are talking a grand to more than a grand for a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Northside DART line (if Clontarf Road or Connolly) will put you in striking distance of where you need to be will yield some nice house shares for your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Wwhy not simply take something affordable along the daft line? it runs straight into CD and goes regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Where in the Docklands will you be working because some parts are closer to the south while others are better for the north? You could get a nice place in Ranelagh/Rathmines (shared) and you could walk up along canal into work. Smithfield/Stoneybatter are really cool neighbourhoods and it's a short walk up to Docklands from there and you could always get the Luas. Someone else said Clontarf - it's lovely but probably a bit too settled if you young and want to get out and enjoy the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RobinJ1995

Wwhy not simply take something affordable along the daft line? it runs straight into CD and goes regularly.

Because I don't quite know which places are well-connected on the Dart line, to be honest :P
    Lux23 wrote: »
    Where in the Docklands will you be working because some parts are closer to the south while others are better for the north?
    Grand Canal Street Lower

RobinJ1995 wrote: »
    Because I don't quite know which places are well-connected on the Dart line, to be honest :P

Grand Canal Street Lower

If only some company would invent an excellent mapping tool. I'd like it to be called Moogle Gaps or something.

Grand Canal Dock DART Station is about 30 seconds from where you're going to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RobinJ1995

If only some company would invent an excellent mapping tool. I'd like it to be called Moogle Gaps or something.

Grand Canal Dock DART Station is about 30 seconds from where you're going to be working.

... I know that. I'm more so talking about the other ends of said Dart lines and their respective locations on the map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Do a filter for Dublin 2 on daft. You can walk all these in a few minutes.

Google Dublin 4 and Dublin 6 you could possibly walk or just a few minutes on dart.

Dublin 3 you could get dart too. Dublin 15 has train.

Throw up a few places you like and we can advise.

• Advertisement

... I know that. I'm more so talking about the other ends of said Dart lines and their respective locations on the map.

Look at the map, locate Grand Canal Dock, follow the lines, one heads north, the other south. The North bound one terminates in Howth and Malahide (it splits).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

OP if you are new to Dublin, to be honest if you are lucky enough to find a decent house share as opposed to living alone, at least you might become friendly with your housemates and maybe go out for a few pints occasionally. It might break the social ice a bit. That's of course if you are happy enough to get to know your housemates, and they you. Remember, THEY pick YOU, not the other way round, so sell yourself well :D

Searching from Letterkenny might be difficult though. You may have to take a few days off, book into a b&b/hostel, whatever, in Dublin and hit the streets. Do you know anybody in Dublin that could show you around, maybe run a few places you're interested by them - or could they do a drive-by/even view a place on your behalf?

Realistically, almost anywhere on the Dart/Luas line would suit your needs, although obviously the further out you go, while it may be slightly cheaper, it's also further to get home after a night out in town.

Northside DART is actually cheapest in the middle. Get's more expensive again after Howth Junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

Op. The Irish in general are too fixated with Daft. As a non-Irish landlord I find it horrible (only myhome is worse): staff who believe that they can run a very popular website on a 9 to 5 Mon-Fri schedule (UK offers many competing platforms). For house sharing in Dublin daft is not the best tool. Go to Facebook, request access to various rent a room/share in Dublin groups and with your budget you will find plenty. Best of luck, any more detailed question please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

I recomend ashtown as a good location for commuting and living. I live there and work near where your going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if you go out once or twice a week, living somewhere that you can walk to work and also for heading out in dublin, would save a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

Idbatterim wrote: »
    if you go out once or twice a week, living somewhere that you can walk to work and also for heading out in dublin, would save a lot...

exactly...
    for example now I live in rialto, and it is a pretty good area, as it is served by multiple buses and the red luas line.

Would be a good option to look for somewhere where the new luas line is going to arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Grand Canal Street Lower

Then you probably want to live along the dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Idbatterim wrote: »

For sure, I've had that luxury for some time and it is nice.

But when your workplace is in the south Docklands, it is a luxury given the rental prices there and in the surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

At your age and in this economic climate you can rule out single occupancy for at least 5 years.

750 will get you a nice room in a 3/4 bed in the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Lower Grand Canal St runs from Fenian St to the Canal meaning that Pearse/Westland Row might be equidistant as GCD Dart Station. This has the advantage of bringing the Maynooth line trains into commuting possibilities for the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

North of the DART mine

Howth, Sutton, Baldoyle, Malahide, Portmarnock, Clongriffin, Belmayne, Balgriffin, Donaghmeade, Kilbarack, Raheny, Artane, Killester, Clontarf.

Other areas close, but not on the DART line.

Coolock, Dollymount, Beaumont, Swords, Kinsealy.

There's loads more towns around Dublin that have either DART/LUAS/Bus access to the city center.

Advertisement