Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed

Options
  • 28-06-2017 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

In the last twenty years, myself and my wife have only possessed two mobile phones each, one pair being Siemens (died around 2004), and the current being two LG GB220 units - neither, needless to say, "smartphones".

Unfortunately, the two LG phones - although still operating perfectly - are facing a problem - namely that no battery can be obtained from either LG or Vodafone (I am a Pay As You Go customer), nor on Amazon/Ebay, and although the phones still charge, the batteries (like myself) are increasingly running out of steam.

Now I know that I could purchase two similar old-world phones from Vodafone, but in a sign (unusual for me) of adventurousness (is that a real word?), I have begun looking at upgrading to two of these modern thingies.

What would we use the new phones for – apart from making and receiving phone calls and texts.

Well, Googling/checking Amazon etc, and of course, looking up the map to find out where I am, and why I am lost.

Oh - and taking photos. And that’s about it.

Having looked up the Vodafone site, I have seen two items which seem of interest - namely the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 and the Vodafone Smart Turbo 7.

Others on offer from Vodafone (within our price range) include Sone Xperia E6, Huawei 511, and Samsung Galaxy J3.

So any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Needless to say, I am a complete novice, but in preparation for this investment, I have even purchased a book titled "Android Phones For Dummies", although my grandson has informed me that I do not need the book, because "any fool can work one of these phones".

That remains to be seen!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭cml387

I would guess we are not too far apart in ages.

Ignoring the fanboi nonsense, get an android phone which at least will have applications that you might use. Mrs CML has a windows phone which she got because it was cheap and did what she wanted at the time but now she sees how limited the applications are.

Most high end phones are far too big to be of any use, unless you are a woman and have a handbag.

Huawei are a good make from China and have all the bells and whistles you'll need.

Motorola are also quite good,the Moto G4 is good value for the features it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 charleshardin

Thanks very much for the information.

I will look at the Huawei you recommended.

Again thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

You wrote.....

I would guess we are not too far apart in ages.

My reply.......

Well let's put it like this. My moniker is Charles Hardin, which were Buddy Holly's real first names - and he died in 1959, so I am definitely over 21!

But still going.

Advertisement