Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midwife moving to Australia

Options
  • 28-06-2017 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    Hoping someone may be able to give me some advice.
    I am working as a midwife here in Ireland and hoping to move to Australia in December.
    I'm getting conflicting information from different agencies/boards in Australia regarding my ability to practice there so I'm hoping someone here has been through it before!
    I came through the direct entry program (so I'm not a registered nurse), and I know there will be a restriction/stipulation on my Australian midwifery registration to say I have to work in the same facility for minimum 6months because of a lack of continuity of care in Ireland. Confusion follows as to the best type of visa to go over on. I've been told I can only go over on a skilled worker visa by one agency and by another that I am best to go for a working holiday visa.

Can anyone shed some light?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

AMcGrath22 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am working as a midwife here in Ireland and hoping to move to Australia in December.
    I'm getting conflicting information from different agencies/boards in Australia regarding my ability to practice there so I'm hoping someone here has been through it before!
    I came through the direct entry program (so I'm not a registered nurse), and I know there will be a restriction/stipulation on my Australian midwifery registration to say I have to work in the same facility for minimum 6months because of a lack of continuity of care in Ireland. Confusion follows as to the best type of visa to go over on. I've been told I can only go over on a skilled worker visa by one agency and by another that I am best to go for a working holiday visa.

For skilled worker visa you will have to have your skills assessed by the relevant authority, this authority would be list next to your job occupation on the Skilled Occupation List. This can take many months and you won't have it by December. It also cost thousands of dollars so really only beneficial if you are planning to stay there for many years.

If you are under 30 then the WHV would be your best bet. As it is a medical profession you still need to be registered to work in austalia so look into that sooner rather then later. Luckily the medical profession hires so many overseas workers that if you get work as a midwife you probably have a good chance of getting sponsorship. But please be aware that if the current government has its way the whole sponsorship visa will be getting massive overhaul in March 2018 and itll be a whole different system than any of us have experienced.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

AMcGrath22 wrote: »
    Hi,

I don't know anything specific to widwifery so can't help with that but just be aware that the working holiday visa limits you to 6 months with a single employer. If you need to work at the same facility for more than 6 months at the same facility to obtain registration then the working holiday visa may not be your best option.

Advertisement