Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost or Value

Options
  • 28-06-2017 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Recently purchased some hard to come by coins from eBay. I got them at a good price considering age, rarity and condition. They have gone missing in the post and the tracking shows they arrived at the local distribution centre.
    An Post have given me a form which among other things asks for value.
    Am I entitled to the purchase price or the catalogue value of the coins?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Easy to prove cost, hard to prove value. I would go with cost. It's the most fair thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

It's the amount you paid for them, if you're asked to provide a payment receipt at some point it won't look good if the amounts don't match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 xrayzulu

Surely fair is the cost of replacing the coins which I know from experience will not be at the price I paid

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

xrayzulu wrote: »
    Surely fair is the cost of replacing the coins which I know from experience will not be at the price I paid

No its the actual cost to you of purchasing them they require. So what you paid for them is what you declare.

I've got no problem telling them what I paid. its what It will cost me to replace them is what I want to claim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've got no problem telling them what I paid. its what It will cost me to replace them is what I want to claim.

But, you can't. You can just claim the actual monetary loss.

Should the seller/sender not be making the claim anyway?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The insured party is the sender/seller. They will only be able to get the insured value, which will be what you paid; but that is between them and An Post anyway.

You need to get your refund from the seller. You have no entitlement to anything further in this scenario than a refund of what you paid

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

As said before it's the seller who should contact anpost or if abroad the postal service used to post them.

You should get the sender to refund your purchase, before they do they might ask for some confirmation from anpost item is lost, if sender doesn't want to refund you should contact Paypal if you paid that way or bank to do a charge back if you paid with credit/debit card. If you send money by bank transfer or western union you won't be able to claim anything back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

nava wrote: »
    As said before it's the seller who should contact anpost or if abroad the postal service used to post them.

You should get the sender to refund your purchase, before they do they might ask for some confirmation from anpost item is lost, if sender doesn't want to refund you should contact Paypal if you paid that way or bank to do a charge back if you paid with credit/debit card. If you send money by bank transfer or western union you won't be able to claim anything back.

I was just thinking this myself.
    Surely the ops only entitlement here is to a refund from the seller and the seller claims the cost from an post. The seller can claim the actual value etc but op has no contract with an post at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well you won't get what you want in fairness. Its the senders issue to sort out in anyway as they are the ones with the contract for the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

An Post have given me a form which among other things asks for value.

what is this form you got? Everyone here is saying the seller should be making the claim so I am wondering why an post are seemingly not saying the same thing too.

And does the form explicitly say value or cost or price paid?

Winning an auction at an unusually low price would be similar enough to winning a prize. I wonder if you had paid zero (as in won them as a prize) and they were worth €10,000 would people also be saying to tell them the value was zero. I still reckon it should still be the prize giver making the claim.

Thank you all for your input and advice.

An Posts tracking site show an attempted delivery last Saturday and then DELIVERED at 1800hrs on Monday. It was not delivered to this address neither myself or my wife got it.

An post Track and Trace don't show a receivers name and I'm unable to get a Delivery Record. I queried all this at the local Delivery Service Unit. They had no explanation but gave me a form entitled "Enquiry form for missing, damaged or delayed items.

Having looked at my options I reckon I'll get eBay and PayPal deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Either the sender or the recipient can claim. And it is the amount that can put the intended recipent in the position they would have been if successfully delivered. The example used was you couldn't claim for the value of a tender but you could for the cost of wool and some emotional recompense for the loss of a knitted garment. Have a look at Getting it Sorted on the An Post website...I was heavily involved in it with An Post and ComReg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This doesn't even sound like it was insured - thats a bog standard form to assist in a search.

Deal with the seller. But you aren't getting more than you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The seller will need to chase it up with An Post. You will only get what you paid. However my first step would be to knock on the houses nearby and see if they have. Also I would try and meet the local postman and ask him does he know who signed for it. Have a walk around the outside of your house too. Look in the shed, bushes, bin etc.

The local postman claims he never had the package on the Monday although it was out to him on the system. He
    did deliver mail to us that day so the mystery is down to system error. They still can't locate the package in the DSU or the delivery van.

Out for delivery means scanned out of last point. This may not have been the DSU. Please note that parcels and letters may not be delivered by the same people.

Ask customer services to check on the delivery record card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Cost or value? Surely an item bought for x on ebay has the value of x because x is all anyone was prepared to pay for it so cost = value. The item can't be worth y because no one else was prepared to pay that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Tow

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/PostalRates/Insurance+Service.htm
    Insurance cover is not available for certain items. The following articles will be accepted but are not insured:
    Cash and coins
    Bank drafts
    Vouchers with a monetary face value*
    Passports
    Jewellery**
    Glass
    Precious metals such as platinum, gold or silver, whether manufactured or not in the form of a finished article.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Insurance is part of registration...except nationally.

Have a look at Getting it Sorted...which has a wider range of inclusions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement