Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants for GEM?

Options
  • 28-06-2017 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi :)
    Just wondering if anyone has any information on fee reduction/grants for the GEM course? I know UL have a scholarship programme but I'm wondering if there is a programme that covers all the GEM course locations so it doesn't affect overall choice.

I read somewhere a year ago that one of the locations in Dublin (Might be UCD) have reduced fees/scholarships but it's only awarded to those in extreme disadvantage (which would suit me) but I'm not sure if I just imagined it. :pac:

I would normally google it (and have), but this section on boards seems really up to date on all things GEM :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cloudmed

There are no generalised grants for Graduate Medicine in Ireland. :( All out-of-pocket or the whopper bank loan, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Ariana Grande

cloudmed wrote: »
    There are no generalised grants for Graduate Medicine in Ireland. :( All out-of-pocket or the whopper bank loan, unfortunately.

Aw man :(
    I think I might give UL/other locations a email explaining my financial situation after I do the Gamsat, maybe they might help in any way idk

Thanks for responding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cloudmed

I think I might give UL/other locations a email explaining my financial situation after I do the Gamsat, maybe they might help in any way idk

No harm trying, you might get lucky! Good luck with your application. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MagicMikeee

Aw man :(

Thanks for responding :)

Hi Ariana, major fan of your work!

This might be a waste of your time as I'd imagine the only advice you'll get from the Universities will about the loans available.

UL is the only place that offers a full scholarship as you said, and all applicants need to go through the same process. You can find out more here: http://www.ul.ie/gems/scholarship-scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Beariski01

I applied for the scholarship in UL this year, got an email last week to say that my scholarship application wasn't successful 😔

The application portal is closed for September but maybe try to email them direct!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 medennial

Beariski01 wrote: »
    I applied for the scholarship in UL this year, got an email last week to say that my scholarship application wasn't successful ��

The application portal is closed for September but maybe try to email them direct!

Are you an incoming First Year? Just wondering if UL have changed their policy on that, I've never heard of anyone being informed of the status of their application before the first few weeks of the semester! Great if they have, it's awful being there and not knowing if you got it or not

Hopefully I'll be an incoming first year :) I was surprised too, I hadn't expected to hear anything back until September but I got an email last week.

I'm not sure if it's a sign of large numbers applying and they have multiple reviews or perhaps they are just improving the process to give people a clearer picture of financial planning.

I find it strange that people are being informed of the scholarship outcome before the course places are even offered...

cloudmed wrote: »
    No harm trying, you might get lucky! Good luck with your application. :)

Thank you :)
    Hi Ariana, major fan of your work!

This might be a waste of your time as I'd imagine the only advice you'll get from the Universities will about the loans available.

UL is the only place that offers a full scholarship as you said, and all applicants need to go through the same process. You can find out more here: http://www.ul.ie/gems/scholarship-scheme

I wish there was laughing emoticon on this site :pac: I'm just paying homage to a legend :pac:

Oh so UL is the only place :( It's so far out from where I am, but If I got in, I'd want to move down anyway so. I will definitely apply for it when I'm eligible. I'm actually only sitting the GAMSAT first time next March so I have a lot of time to study and look up this type of stuff.

I applied for the scholarship in UL this year, got an email last week to say that my scholarship application wasn't successful ��

Aw, sorry you didn't get it :(
    I think I would get it because I got SUSI during my degree and was also in the foster care system and then eventual care of the HSE for the majority of my pre-18 years. I also lived in Focus Ireland's accommodation for a year and I'm currently not supported by any guardian (obviously lol). So I feel like I would be suitable for it, I just need to do the application for next year and pray :pac:

Best of luck with everything Ariana, hope it all works out for you!! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brokeasfeck

Oh so UL is the only place :( It's so far out from where I am, but If I got in, I'd want to move down anyway so. I will definitely apply for it when I'm eligible. I'm actually only sitting the GAMSAT first time next March so I have a lot of time to study and look up this type of stuff.

Hi Ariana,

If you can afford to, I'd really recommend sitting the Gamsat this September in Dublin. It's a better time of year to prepare for it if you're in college next year. And the result is still valid for both 2018 and 2019 entry. If you don't get the score you need then the experience of having already done the exam will be invaluable if you have to sit in again in March. Just my 2cents!!

• Advertisement

Hi Ariana,

If you can afford to, I'd really recommend sitting the Gamsat this September in Dublin. It's a better time of year to prepare for it if you're in college next year. And the result is still valid for both 2018 and 2019 entry. If you don't get the score you need then the experience of having already done the exam will be invaluable if you have to sit in again in March. Just my 2cents!!

Sorry about the late reply :pac:
    I actually didn’t sit the exam in September (way too expensive for something I knew I was going to fail at that point). My friend did it and told me how hard it was (the long hours were surprisingly the hardest part of the exam she thought). I’m taking a gap year to study for the March exam (and also get some part time work to pay for the exam lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Saimir

I applied for the scholarship in UL this year, got an email last week to say that my scholarship application wasn't successful 😔    

Hi Beariski01, Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful. What reason did they give for this decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 maria0310

Hi, just came across this thread, did anyone get the scholarship recently i.e 2017? My question is if you were awarded it, when did you find out? People in other threads and previous years were saying that they found out a few weeks/months into the course but in this thread someone who was not successful in their application said they got it before the course started? So is there anyone who was awarded it last year that could tell me when they found out?

Advertisement