Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charges for recycling in Wexford

Options
  • 28-06-2017 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen much about the decision of Wexford Co. Co. to introduce a fee to use their recycling facilities. The excuse "people are recycling too often" !!!
    Jeez, you couldn't make it up. On the one hand we have FG introducing free rein to the waste companies to exploit the public with bin charges because we don't recycle enough, (which I seriously doubt) and on the other hand Wexford Co.Co justifying charges because we recycle too much.
    Really, how much more will it take before people realise that the big political parties, along with the local authorities, work hand in glove with big business in this country to extract the very last cent from the ordinary people,while returning little in the way of services

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Southeast radio had 2 people recently on the Alan Cochrane show. 1 from the Wexford Co Council the other was to do with waste management. the show was about the introduction of charges at recycling plants. I sent in a txt saying the metal skip in the Enniscorthy recycling center is the property of a well known scrap merchant, so people are now going to have to pay for him to make money outa scrap metal. its usually the other way around people get paid for scrap metal. As you can imagine my txt wasn't read out on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Navarre wrote: »
    Southeast radio had 2 people recently on the Alan Cochrane show. 1 from the Wexford Co Council the other was to do with waste management. the show was about the introduction of charges at recycling plants. I sent in a txt saying the metal skip in the Enniscorthy recycling center is the property of a well known scrap merchant, so people are now going to have to pay for him to make money outa scrap metal. its usually the other way around people get paid for scrap metal. you can imagine my txt wasn't read out on air.

I can imagine. Corcoran is well known for giving politicians and the County Manager an easy ride, he tends only to give a hard time to the likes of Mick Wallace. Whether this is his own or company policy is worth investigating.
    It was the whole ridiculous notion of people going too often that pi**ed me off, the skips get filled whether you throw cans in them once or a thousand times, the centres are open every day except Sunday so what does it matter whether you throw one can in every day or six cans on a Saturday.
    No, Wexford Co.Co. this isn't going to wash, a money making racket with no return, just like Property Tax

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Yes, every time I'm in the recycling centre in Enniscorthy I wonder about the metal recycling and wouldn't be in the least surprised to hear that the Council pay the scrap merchant for his services in removing the metal, batteries etc.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Yes, every time I'm in the recycling centre in Enniscorthy I wonder about the metal recycling and wouldn't be in the least surprised to hear that the Council pay the scrap merchant for his services in removing the metal, batteries etc.

I often wondered how much Power Plant hire and Laois hire get every week from Enniscorthy council for the rent on the equipment they hire out. Surely it would be cheaper for local councils to buy their own lawnmowers, Wheelbarrows, Dumpers etc etc etc instead of hiring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Navarre wrote: »
    I often wondered how much Power Plant hire and Laois hire get every week from Enniscorthy council for the rent on the equipment they hire out. Surely it would be cheaper for local councils to buy their own lawnmowers, Wheelbarrows, Dumpers etc etc etc instead of hiring them.

Not to mention the wretched cherry picker!

• Advertisement
Advertisement