Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance

Options
  • 28-06-2017 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've recently qualified for disability allowance, but I've no clue what that entails.

This all started a few months back when i discovered my visual impairment actually meant I was technically disabled. I was informed of disability allowance and decided I'd chance my arm in applying.

I never heard word from anyone about my application after I sent it in, until two months later when money started appearing in my bank account from the Department of Social Protection!

I've tried looking into this more as I would like to know what else is available, or even if this money I'm getting is more than just an error in the system.

Any information from you guys would be much appreciated.

(Note: Apologies for the throwaway account, but this is a sensitive and personal topic that I don't particularly want divulged in my personal life)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bellz_x

I think your best bet would be to call up the disability allowance section and ask them. If you're being paid in error, you will have to repay what they've sent to you.

If you have been approved for DA, you should have received a letter from them stating that your application was allowed and that you will begin to be paid from a certain date and the amount that they will be paying you. You would also be told that you will have receive back-payments, if you were eligible for them.

I'd definitely give them a call and find out what the deal is with it, you don't want to get stung having to pay them back.

If you have been awarded DA then happy days and congrats!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I'm going applying myself in the coming weeks, what is the approval figures for it?

Aspergers/Social problems/Personality disorder/Depression are all the complaints i've had in my life.

That combined with the fact i can't hold down employment as a result of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bellz_x

KC161 wrote: »
    I'm going applying myself in the coming weeks, what is the approval figures for it?

Aspergers/Social problems/Personality disorder/Depression are all the complaints i've had in my life.

That combined with the fact i can't hold down employment as a result of the above.

I'm not totally sure of the approval figures but I will say this, when you're applying, I think it's a good idea to send a personal letter along with it. Explain your situation, how it affects your life and the fact that you cannot work due to these complaints.

You may very well be refused on the first go, a lot of people are, I was but then you need to appeal it. Do this swiftly, have an appeal letter already drafted as you only have 21 days to appeal a decision.

When I wrote my appeal letter, I also sent in a letter from my mother, who is my carer and a letter from my former employer..

Best of luck to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

bellz_x wrote: »
    I'm not totally sure of the approval figures but I will say this, when you're applying, I think it's a good idea to send a personal letter along with it. Explain your situation, how it affects your life and the fact that you cannot work due to these complaints.

You may very well be refused on the first go, a lot of people are, I was but then you need to appeal it. Do this swiftly, have an appeal letter already drafted as you only have 21 days to appeal a decision.

When I wrote my appeal letter, I also sent in a letter from my mother, who is my carer and a letter from my former employer..

Best of luck to you!

Never thought of that.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement