Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell of smoke from PC

Options
  • 28-06-2017 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Likely a bad cap on the psu?

Extreme 4 mobo, i7 4790k, gtx 1070, corsair rm 1000w

Read some reviews and they said that psu uses cheap caps. I think I've had it 2 years and the pc has gone through heavy use. I've noticed it running choppy lately too, browser unresponsive, games stuttering a bit etc.

The smoke wasn't visible I just shut the computer down when I got the whiff so I don't know for certain where it came from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Best to just take it out and open it up. Have a look at the caps for any scorch marks. That Corsair may not have the best caps but I doubt it's far from a bad PSU from what I recall. Also worth having a look at the motherboard and GPU while you are in there. Which model of 1070 do you have?

Also, make sure no one in your house burnt toast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Best to just take it out and open it up. Have a look at the caps for any scorch marks. That Corsair may not have the best caps but I doubt it's far from a bad PSU from what I recall. Also worth having a look at the motherboard and GPU while you are in there. Which model of 1070 do you have?

Also, make sure no one in your house burnt toast...

It's deffo the PC. I took off the case and turned it on for a few seconds to be sure.

The 1070 is a Palit.

I'll have a closer look today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

How is the airflow in your PC? It could be dust. Give it a good cleaning with compressed air (I suggest going outside :P).

The burning could come from any part of the PC, but my first guess would be the PSU also. Can you swap out the PSU for another, just to test it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Even if they are cheap caps, you're barely running that PSU to 35% of its max under load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

How is the airflow in your PC? It could be dust. Give it a good cleaning with compressed air (I suggest going outside :P).

The burning could come from any part of the PC, but my first guess would be the PSU also. Can you swap out the PSU for another, just to test it out?

Yup got another machine here so I'll swap out the power supply and run some temp checks.

Thanks all will update tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

Ask it has it ever seen a man say goodbye to his shoes..

Advertisement