Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder

Options
  • 28-06-2017 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks, this is my first time to post on this site so I apologise in advance if I'm in the wrong place. About 2 weeks ago I was watching tv, and I googled one of the presenters on the show, a comedian called Jon Richardson (I do that...a lot), just to find out more about the guy. In my reading it mentioned he was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder, so I ventured further down the rabbit hole that is wikipedia to find out more.
    I was very surprised by what I read, my initial thoughts centred around OCD, but I was very wrong. I'm well aware that you should be careful what you read on the internet, especially with matters of health, but it read like a shopping list of my personality, turns out OCPD is quite distinct from OCD.
    To be honest, I found what I read to be very upsetting. I've lived my life thinking and doing things a certain way, what I thought was the 'right' way. Now, I don't know what to think.
    I feel like I'm rambling a bit here, and its taken me the guts of an hour to even write this, to get to the point, has anyone had experience of this issue? I'm afraid to talk to my better half, family, and friends. Are there specific people who can diagnose/treat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,125 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think we all have a touch of it. If you were happy before you read the article I'd just move on, next week google will give you cancer when checking out something else on TV, you'll be fine. If it's not a major problem for you or other people carry on regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

Personality traits are only a 'disorder' if they interfere with work/relationships/functioning to a significant degree.
    All doctors have anankastic/OCDPD traits but most of us find they work in our favour, for example.

Advertisement