Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Understanding my partner's bipolar 1

Options
  • 28-06-2017 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Well, that's what we think it is. Disclaimer: I am not looking for medical advice, but to hopefully learn from people's personal experiences what might have happened, what the outlook might be and what I can do to help them.

Last week my partner went full delusional. They're currently in hospital and had to be forced the medication by injection. In a nutshell:

Monday + Tuesday: Started mentioning "clues" they were seeing about the place

Wednesday: Became obsessed with organising and understanding the world around them as if it were a game with exercises

Thursday: Total disconnect from reality. You're talking sending emails into the office at 5am about how they'd "figured it out!" but the emails just make no sense. They left me 5 or 6 pages of handwritten notes saying things like "I hope the exercises will end soon, but I'm beating them at their own game!"

On Friday we got her to a doctor, the doctor said mania. I know enough about mental health to know that mania + tiredness = delusions, and she was having some pretty hardcore delusions of reference. And by Friday they had been awake for five whole days straight.

Sunday: Doctors forced the medication on them. They've calmed down a lot, but the delusions are still completely active, just spoken with a drawl instead. The medication was at least part antipsychotics.

I spoke with the person today for the first time since Friday, so we're at hospital entry +4 days. They're still just as rooted in that other world. I was hoping that a lot of it was just the toll of the exhaustion on their brain (female, 30) but it suddenly feels very real.

So here are my questions, and I know anything back will be an educated guess at best, but I'm going mad not knowing:

1) What are the best outcomes, the worst outcomes, the regular outcomes, the likely outcomes with only the evidence above – or is it all too soon to tell?

2) Is there any service for the family of someone in this situation that I can just talk to. I just need to talk to someone who actually understands this and can give me an honest answer. If it's bad news I want it.

Many thanks,

Duncan

(really another boardsie but my partner can't give consent for people to know she's like this, and I know a bunch of boardsie IRL!)

Advertisement