Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Divorce - easy case, need advice

Options
  • 27-06-2017 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I and my ex-wife wanted to get a divorce. We have been living apart for the last 4 years (as the law ask for)

We don't have children.
    We don't have any properties.
    No mortgages or anything.
    We don't have any belongings from each other.
    We get along pretty well.
    We just wanted to get a legal divorce.

The only detail here is that she has a pension plan from her new job (she got this job only last year), so I may need to sign that I don't want anything to do with that - Irish law says that I could claim that even if I remarry.

The other details are that we got married in Poland. Now we both live here. We are both EU citizens.

My question is: do we really need a solicitor or spend a tonne of money for that? It seems pretty straight forward. We just wanted to do that in a simpler and easy way.

There is an easy way to do that ourselves in this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Hack12

You can but this is Ireland so its not straight forward.
    (1) It is advisable to have a Separation Agreement in place outlining all you mentioned above. In Ireland there is Legal Separation (done between solicitors or judicial separation by the courts). This does not affect your time period to apply for divorce. Basically in Ireland divorce only allows you to remarry. And once divorced either party can come back to the other looking for €€.
    (2) It can be done yourselves if ammicable. I used a diydivorce.ie and you must obey all laws when applying
    (3) Depending on County both or the person applying will have to give a Affidavit of Means outlining income, savings etc.
    (4) In relation to the pension you get a Pension Adjustment Order in the court on your divorce day. It will generally give the party a % of the pension. In yojr circumstances it probably be 0.0001%.

Advertisement