Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Hospital waiting times for Cardiac Stress Test and CT Coronary Angiogram?

Options
  • 27-06-2017 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My apologies if this is the wrong forum, I looked at couldn't find anywhere else to post this.

After experiencing Chest Pain, my GP recommended that I go see a Cardiologist. The one she recommended was in the Beacon. I checked with Irish Life, and they said the Consultant was registered with them.

So I saw him yesterday, and it cost €220 cash (€60 of which I'll get back if I hit my Out Patient Excess). He's recommended I get two things done:

Cardiac Stress Test: €196
    CT Coronary Angiogram: €450

I checked with Irish Life, and they don't cover the first one, and only cover the second one if I get it done in the Blackrock Clinic or the 'Allianz Medical' or something like that.

I don't have this money, and will basically be putting it on my Credit Card. And I assume that the consultant in the Beacon can't refer me to the Allianz Medical or the Blackrock clinic?

So, does anyone know what the costs, and waiting times, would be if I went public? As usual, paying out a lot of money each month for Medical Insurance only really seems to help if you ever have a serious issue, everything else you end up paying for.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I think your consultant in the beacon can probably send a referral to Charter/Alliance medical for the CT scan and you could get it done there through your health insurance
    http://chartermedical.ie/our-services/diagnostic-imaging-clinic/

That won't help with the stress test however which you say isn't covered by your insurance. In case it helps, you can claim back 20% tax relief from the expenses at the end of the year (assuming you are earning income/paying tax) which would reduce the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It may not be a big consolation to you but the stress test is good value as it takes two technicians about 20/25 mins. You huffing and puffing for 9 of them. Been there, best wishes. Good direction from Caviar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks for your replies.

Interestingly enough, I contact Irish Life again and was told that I am actually covered for the CT Coronary Angiogram, bar a €50 excess. So someone made a mistake the first time. I actually think the people on the phone are confused by the policies and how complex they are.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just saw your post. I had heart surgery and needed an angiogram done.
    I went public for the consult and tests. Got the angiogram done a week after seeing the cardiologist and saw the surgeon a week later.
    Got the valve surgery done privately 10 weeks later. Could have had it earlier but wanted to be sure of seeing my son's first day in school. ( Got done next day)
    I was however on the edge of my surgical window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks for your post tatranska, hope you're well recovered.

Got the angiogram done yesterday, and the Beacon didn't ask for any money at all, not even an excess, they said I was fully covered. I really don't know who to believe at this stage, so I'll wait and see if I get a bill from Irish Life...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I never said... It was 8 weeks from GP referral to public cardiologist. It would have been 6 weeks privately plus paying for the tests.

Advertisement