Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrobox query

Options
  • 27-06-2017 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Hope this is ok posted here?
    Have searched boards and only can find two comments on it!
    Anyone have this or know anything about it? the two comments I saw seems negative!? Is there better out there?

Comments

Its just a rasberry pi running retro pi as far I know,
    a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Thanks for reply! Probably should have said I know nothing about this sort of thing! What you said makes no sense to me!! Other then it's a scam! Know where I would get one for cheaper? Or send me in right direction tonread up on it all?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

idunno78 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply! Probably should have said I know nothing about this sort of thing! What you said makes no sense to me!! Other then it's a scam! Know where I would get one for cheaper? Or send me in right direction tonread up on it all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hardly fair to call it a scam.

It's a Raspberry Pi pre-configured with emulators/roms and controllers. You're paying someone to set everything up for you so that it's plug and play.

Yes, you can do it yourself for a lot less but it is what it is and not a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah it's just like buying an Alienware PC as opposed to building a gaming machine yourself

• Advertisement

Hardly fair to call it a scam.

He is profiting from other peoples work in fairness.
    They are not setting anything up just copying an image he downloaded onto an SD card.

He doesn't even mention rpi or retropie on his website.
    He is pretending like its something hes has developed .
    before we get to the fact he's selling roms.

Not that I care at all to be honest.

So for someone that hasn't a clue would it just be handier to but rather then going to set it up? Haven't watched full video as haven't wifi until next week!
    I would probably be able to follow the instructions but wouldn't have a clue about what any of the stuff is! Or where to get all the bits! ebay?

Thanks for all the replie/help very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

idunno78 wrote: »
    So for someone that hasn't a clue would it just be handier to but rather then going to set it up? Haven't watched full video as haven't wifi until next week!
    I would probably be able to follow the instructions but wouldn't have a clue about what any of the stuff is! Or where to get all the bits! ebay?

Thanks for all the replie/help very much appreciated.
    Raspberry pi and case:
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/1228913/

64gb SD:
    https://www.memoryc.com/22702-64gb-kingston-microsdxc-uhs-1-cl10-memory-card-with-sd-adapter.html

Controllers:
    I've never used these but they look awesome, I'll have to pick some up myself
    https://www.8bitdo.co.uk/
    or
    cheap and cheerful
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE-Nintendo-Controller-Joystick-AC560/dp/B01MCXH2B9/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1498808802&sr=8-3&keywords=snes+usb+gamepad

Thanks a million! Will check it out over wend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I must confess I wasted hours upon hours of my short Xmas holiday trying to get my retropie working properly and it was so annoying I put it in a drawer for a year and a half before recently buying a preconfigured sd card off ebay. Much better!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I must confess I wasted hours upon hours of my short Xmas holiday trying to get my retropie working properly and it was so annoying I put it in a drawer for a year and a half before recently buying a preconfigured sd card off ebay. Much better!

Its improved a lot recently. Theres also Recal and lakka which are similar retro pi interfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I tried about a year ago to set up one of these , a hyper spin one and it was the greatest pain in the balls to try and do , Think I'm gonna buy one of these retroboxes

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭yaeger

anyone bought one of the retro boxes?
    is it plug and play that simple? not tech savvy and no frickin idea what retropi
    is..?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's a Raspberry pi with a case and some bits and bobs, plus stuff downloaded from the net, and a large markup for the seller.

If you decide to try one out, first have a think about what you want to play, if it's old consoles like NES or MD just buy a Raspberry Pi Zero and the little kit they sell, then spend a little time on the many support sites or YouTube to make it for yourself.
    It's lots of fun, you'll pick up a new skill and be proud of the end results.

Advertisement