Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CNN fake news network

Options
  • 27-06-2017 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jun/27/three-cnn-journalists-resign-over-retracted-trump-russia-story

So it turns out CNN is in fact a fake news network. I don't know what's more weird as in the fact they engage in this type of carry on or that Trump was right about something.

I think everyone to some degree understands that modern day news networks are used as mouth pieces for a certain agenda (RTE, Sky etc..) but i hope this opens up a proper debate on what the public expect from their news. Personally i think it's a good thing that CNN have been utterly exposed on this matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

ONE article that they apologised for and retracted as opposed to

EVERY article on Beitheart and Fox.

Seriously.

Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coulagh2017

Clinton News Network

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there is a project Veritas undercover video out now as well where their producers admit they aren't doing proper journalism and as far as they are concerned there is no Russia story

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

ONE article that they apologised for and retracted as opposed to

EVERY article on Beitheart and Fox.

Seriously.

Get a grip

Are you suggesting i take Fox or Britbart seriously? Lol

CNN's standards should be a lot higher than these clowns wouldn't you agree? And it's ONE (does writing it in big letters help my arguement also?) story they have been caught out on and leaves open the possibility they do this on a regular basis.

I have a grip thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jun/27/three-cnn-journalists-resign-over-retracted-trump-russia-story

So it turns out CNN is in fact a fake news network. I don't know what's more weird as in the fact they engage in this type of carry on or that Trump was right about something.

I think everyone to some degree understands that modern day news networks are used as mouth pieces for a certain agenda (RTE, Sky etc..) but i hope this opens up a proper debate on what the public expect from their news. Personally i think it's a good thing that CNN have been utterly exposed on this matter.

Trump was an outsider. Of course the media would attack him and blame it all on Russia. Reality is though the Democratic party was involved in a conspiracy to take down Bernie Sanders and see that Hilary got elected. Those emails that got leaked exposed the corrupt system. The corporate media needed to blame someone and there not going to blame the politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

All news networks whether they be in print, online or TV are terrible sources for news. It's not so much because they have some hidden agenda, it's because they're capitalists that will say whatever they can get away with to make money.

There's been a gradual slide towards this type of commercialized news for decades now, I stopped consuming most news sources at least 5 or 6 years ago and won't give them what they crave, money and attention.

I don't see it as a conspiracy but a state we've ended up in, our ability to retell stories without turning it into an emotive click bait story is gone. There isn't one news source that is capable of telling us the news without sexing it up for more clicks.

It's a problem with society, not any one group or political leaning.

ScumLord wrote: »
    All news networks whether they be in print, online or TV are terrible sources for news. It's not so much because they have some hidden agenda, it's because they're capitalists that will say whatever they can get away with to make money.

There's been a gradual slide towards this type of commercialized news for decades now, I stopped consuming most news sources at least 5 or 6 years ago and won't give them what they crave, money and attention.

I don't see it as a conspiracy but a state we've ended up in, our ability to retell stories without turning it into an emotive click bait story is gone. There isn't one news source that is capable of telling us the news without sexing it up for more clicks.

Yeah i'd agree it's been a steady decline in standards over a long time period. The point i'm making is i hope this now opens up a conversation in the public sphere about news and how it's presented.

You look at the terrible sh1te RT put out for instance but i think their bias is so obvious because they are pretty new at what they do compared to a CNN or Sky News. I'd say these news outlets appeal to the bottom feeders of society but they have massive ratings which is very worrying for democracy in general.

true, there is no market for middle of the road news, the successful model seems to be 50% of your potential audience likes you and 50% hates you. longer term these cable news channels are on the way out, a lot of people "cutting the cord" in the US, they will be left with people in nursing homes

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,110 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Are you suggesting i take Fox or Britbart seriously? Lol

CNN's standards should be a lot higher than these clowns wouldn't you agree? And it's ONE (does writing it in big letters help my arguement also?) story they have been caught out on and leaves open the possibility they do this on a regular basis.

I have a grip thanks very much.

I don't know about the others, but I assumed you did based on your opening post. If you assuem the possibility of it being widespread, why stop at CNN? Every news organisation has made mistakes and had to publicly acknowledge them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I don't know about the others, but I assumed you did based on your opening post. If you assuem the possibility of it being widespread, why stop at CNN? Every news organisation has made mistakes and had to publicly acknowledge them.

How did you ascertain that from my opening post :confused:

I understand organisations "make mistakes" but this isn't a simple mistake. I think it's newsworthy given what Trump said about CNN tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I understand organisations "make mistakes" but this isn't a simple mistake. I think it's newsworthy given what Trump said about CNN tbh.

Trump is a perpetual liar himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Love seeing the donald showing these clowns up. A disgusting news network with a horrible liberal agenda

Trump is a perpetual liar himself.

Yes, a proven liar. Just like CNN now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

CNN leaked debate questions to Hillary Clinton too. I find it quite sickening that when you go into the Bar at Dublin Airport you see CNN on the TV. They have no credibility. They are not a real news network.

It's also very worrying that the EU want to crack down on Russia Today but would turn a blind eye to CNN.

I don't believe in cracking down on news unless it has been faked or altered but like product placement ads, there should be a disclaimer on who they represent. CNN is accessible in most EU countries. Before every hour it should be noted the they have been known to alter and fake news stories. That there is a gross imbalance in reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There was no mistake in leaking debate questions to Hillary Clinton. The only mistake was getting caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,110 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, firstly you've jumped on one of the more moderate networks and not just accused it of making a mistake you've branded it a "fake news network".

Secondly, you've brought up Donald Trump as getting something right. Trump isn't not known for his honesty in setting records straight, and his indulge in promoting a lot of fake news himself. Why the **** even mention him?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

ricero wrote: »
    Love seeing the donald showing these clowns up. A disgusting news network with a horrible liberal agenda
    Donald is as bad if not worse than CNN, I'd say worse. Nothing he says has any credibility. But he highlights the fact that MSM has gotten so bad even the likes of Trump can call them liars and be telling the truth, but it's a case of the pot calling the kettle black. The only reason I'd go lighter on Trump is that he's an everyday dumbass that been thrown into the limelight and he probably doesn't know any better. The likes of CNN know exactly what they're at.

But Trump is playing the same game, he's just as dirty as every other source of news today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Independent reporter Tim Pool did a great video on 'fake news' and media bias and it's evolution, and it's kind of depressing given that it suggests the increasing polarizing effect of the internet will only make things worse.

conorhal wrote: »
    Independent reporter Tim Pool did a great video on 'fake news' and media bias and it's evolution, and it's kind of depressing given that it suggests the increasing polarizing effect of the internet will only make things worse.
    I'll have to watch that later. I have a feeling the upcoming generation may react differently to the internet and it's problems. The internet was a new thing when I was growing up. I was one of maybe 4 or 5 people that had it as a teenager, the thought of normal people using it was laughable back then.

Now people that view it as borderline magic are using it and reacting with a world like never before. People have been given knowledge and assume that knowledge makes them wise, but it's just not the case. They are often terrible at judging which information is true and which is nonsense, many people believe whatever gets thrown in front of them on Facebook.

In another 20-30 years the internet will be a much more mundane part of human existence.. I'll be an old man and everyone younger than me will likely have been born into a world with the internet, humans born into something tend to do much better than the people that have to accommodate a changing world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Donald is as bad if not worse than CNN, I'd say worse. Nothing he says has any credibility. But he highlights the fact that MSM has gotten so bad even the likes of Trump can call them liars and be telling the truth, but it's a case of the pot calling the kettle black. The only reason I'd go lighter on Trump is that he's an everyday dumbass that been thrown into the limelight and he probably doesn't know any better. The likes of CNN know exactly what they're at.

But Trump is playing the same game, he's just as dirty as every other source of news today.

Good luck reasoning with someone who unironically uses "The Donald" as a term of endearment. You might as well try explaining evolution to a Bible-tumper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Can't stand that guy. A camera and a beany hat and he thinks he's a journalist. Amateurs like him are part of the problem. Give me an established news source with a history and reputation anyday.

I remember this one from last year, host sounds so sincere :pac:

silverharp wrote: »
    I remember this one from last year, host sounds so sincere :pac:

They don't even attempt to hide it sometimes :pac:

Well, firstly you've jumped on one of the more moderate networks and not just accused it of making a mistake you've branded it a "fake news network".

Secondly, you've brought up Donald Trump as getting something right. Trump isn't not known for his honesty in setting records straight, and his indulge in promoting a lot of fake news himself. Why the **** even mention him?

It is fake news. Have you watched the tape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Shoes and Boots

CNN was always fake news,how long its take to understand that ? CNN was fake news since they called Osama Ben Laden freedom fighter for democracy in Afganistan when war against USSR started there.

He gives a fair assessment of current media and what caused it. I've noticed what he talks about on youtube a good bit, where young people are obviously talking about stuff they only have third hand knowledge of and I suspect are just watching other people's youtube videos then making their own based on that video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Just my opinion:
    The September 11 attacks killed reputable media, they had an overload of news to report on and the public just couldn't get enough, "breaking news" was actually important news that people wanted to hear. Viewership sky rocketed, every distribution method was being consumed in larger and larger quantities, of course they actually lost millions because of the attacks and stopping advertisements, but it heralded the sensational news broadcasts that everything they report on was "breaking news", I remember watching "exclusive footage" that was cctv from a few blocks away that showed a fire brigade pass by and then the dust cloud covering the window, that's all it was.
    As things returned to normality, they wanted that dependence on the media to "tell people what to think" and to get that, they have to be the first to report it, even when the source is unreliable and never validated.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and social media has to share some blame, but I seen a huge change in how news is reported since 9/11.

Advertisement