Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl I'm Dating Worried About PCOS

Options
  • 27-06-2017 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭

Right lads and lasses,

In an odd situation,

Started talking to a girl online recently, met on a dating site, lovely girl, been on a date with her already, bit of a long distance thing but she's pretty cool. She wants to continue seeing me.

Thing is we talk about all sorts, even went into the forbidden territory about ex's and talked about break-ups, she'd been with some muppet guys and I'd had 2 disasters in recent years, one being worse than the other. I basically gave her the spiel about an ex not wanting to have children one day along with a few other things on her end with that derailed the relationship and I was in a bad way for quite some time after it.

This new girl then told me she has PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) which is a condition that may make it difficult to conceive some day. I'm generally a glass is half full type of guy so I tried to make her feel better about it and gave her the positives as I knew it's meant to be worse in more overweight women, (she's not overweight, she's attractively curvy) and as far as I knew you have to make a few dietary changes too in order to aid ovulation and make the cycle more regular and carry a baby to term. I hear drinking full fat milk is meant to be a thing that messes the cycle up being it contains some hormone that interferes with a woman's cycle making it hard to know when you're ovulating. Basically it said diet is a a big factor in it and keeping your insulin level low and fighting off androgens.

I know this is a strange subject being I've only been on the one date, but I know she is into me and wants to continue seeing me but I get the impression she is really worried about it now that I mentioned I had a relationship fail over something like having a family later in life and that I fancy being a parent one day, not for a while obviously, I'd like a few dates and I haven't even slept with her yet. But I want to make her feel better and not feel in any way sketchy or uneasy about seeing me and thinking I'm just going to leave "if" the going gets tough because of her condition.

Has anyone out there with PCOS managed to have a kid and if so what changes have you had to make in order to start a family when the time came.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Yes, people with PCOS can have children. There's plenty that can be done to help. I can't give medical advice here, but if this is something she is concerned about, she should have a discussion with her GP. http://patient.info is also a good online source of reliable medical information.

On a more personal level: you've been on one long-distance date with this girl. You sound quite young. Take your time and enjoy things, and for christ's sake don't be worrying about children after one date! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Breezer wrote: »
    Yes, people with PCOS can have children. There's plenty that can be done to help. I can't give medical advice here, but if this is something she is concerned about, she should have a discussion with her GP. http://patient.info is also a good online source of reliable medical information.

On a more personal level: you've been on one long-distance date with this girl. You sound quite young. Take your time and enjoy things, and for christ's sake don't be worrying about children after one date! :)

Yeah I knew it was a very treatable condition myself anyway but by the way the doctor told her the doctor made it seem in her eyes like she was doomed.

I'd opened my mouth beforehand while the discussion of ex's came up on her end, this was by text actually and I, not knowing she had the condition and she came out with it, after I explained I had a relationship fail over an ex not wanting children, which was one of three major reasons I ended it.

I didn't want her to have her guard to be up just because she has a treatable condition. Like I was honest and said stuff about my past because she told me about hers, she had some prickish partners, it wasn't great on her end either, then I said mine out of honesty and I wouldn't want her feeling insecure as a result of it, I do really like her and want to continue seeing her. She lives two hours from me, finding someone nice in my area has always been difficult, even if it's a relatively urban spot, only so much s**te talking in pubs I can do.

As for the young remark, unless you think 28 is young? Herself is 23. She messaged me first on a dating site and have been chatting every day for the last 5 weeks, met her a fortnight ago,even spent the night but nothing happened, little bit of cuddling she's pretty cool but I know the PCOS issue is bugging her. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that detail of my past and kept my mouth shut. Probably will make it a rule of thumb.

Advertisement