Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was sold vegetables covered in chemicals

Options
  • 27-06-2017 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

I bought a bag of carrots in a well known supermarket and upon grating them realised they smelt very very bad. I made a complaint to the food safety authority and they found that they were covered in a dangerous chemical. I am utterly disturbed by this as I was going to serve this to my toddler. I find it so disturbing that our vegetables can be meddled with in this way and probably leads to cancer long term. Is there anything I can personally do about this? Can I sue the supermarket? What are my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

I bought a bag of carrots in a well known supermarket and upon grating them realised they smelt very very bad. I made a complaint to the food safety authority and they found that they were covered in a dangerous chemical. I am utterly disturbed by this as I was going to serve this to my toddler. I find it so disturbing that our vegetables can be meddled with in this way and probably leads to cancer long term. Is there anything I can personally do about this? Can I sue the supermarket? What are my options?

What did FSA actually say/Do?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You realise, of course, that every vegetable and fruit you buy is covered in chemicals that eventually cause cancer? IMO you've no course of action as there was no damage, as the obvious smell alerted you to the fact there was something wrong, and the FSA was the correct course.

Buy organic, grow as much as you can yourself, even if it's just on a windowsill and do what you're already doing, giving it a sniff and a pkes, washing a peeling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

What exactly would you sue them for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

What chemical were they covered in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Well this is a head-scratcher and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Op - if you regularly eat carrots without washing (and perhaps peeling) them, you are going to run into trouble eventually.

If, on the other hand, you give the carrots a quick rinse under the tap before preparing them, you will be fine. Even if they were covered in 'chemicals'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    A very wise lawyer ( not me ) said you should never go to law unless there is really no other alternative.
    Thanks STC, ET and others
    I think we will leave it at that
    Closed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

What chemical were they covered in ?

Vitamin A :pac::pac::pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement