Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Complaint to the ASAI

Options
  • 26-06-2017 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for some advice.

Within the next couple of I am most likely going to have to make a complaint to the ASAI regarding an advertisement on display in a well known North Dublin shopping centre.

My complaint isn't with the content of the advertisement however but its positioning within the shopping centre. I've consulted their website's code regarding the product in question and its positioning is definitely contrary to the code.

However, on making a complaint on the website it only gives me the option to complain about the content (the word content is specifically highlighted on the website) of the advertisement. I don't have an issue with the content.

Should I still make a complaint here or are there other avenues I can pursue?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

If its not the content thats the issue then maybe speak/email to the centre manager ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Why are you delaying making a complaint?

If it is content in the context of where it is, then the content is a problem.

Note the the ASAI has no official standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

If its not the content thats the issue then maybe speak/email to the centre manager ?

I've tried to speak with management on a couple of occasions and twice have been told to "come back another time" by less than helpful security. I did send an email too but only after I couldn't speak to an actual human.

Victor wrote: »
    Why are you delaying making a complaint?

If it is content in the context of where it is, then the content is a problem.

Note the the ASAI has no official standing.

I'm delaying because I feel it is an issue that could be resolved with much less hassle, but as mentioned I feel as though I am being given the runaround now and would like to complain.

Would you recommend that I still make a complaint to the ASAI?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Would you recommend that I still make a complaint to the ASAI?
    I have no idea of the context (might they be advertising vodka in the creche?), so I can't comment on merit.

A complaint to the ASAI is free, isn't it?

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    I have no idea of the context (might they be advertising vodka in the creche?), so I can't comment on merit.

A complaint to the ASAI is free, isn't it?

That is almost exactly what they are doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

I'm not sure, but whatever the case I got a call this morning from someone in some office somewhere and the company responsible for the advertisement will be taking it down. Apparently.

I didn't have to contact the ASAI in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Are there any laws that prohibit the advertisement of Alcohol in certain places?

No, just voluntary self-regulatory and co-regulatory codes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GM228 wrote: »
    No, just voluntary self-regulatory and co-regulatory codes.

Except for the rule preventing over a certain % on broadcast media. Well, you could consider that self-regulatory but as the risk is of losing your broadcast licence it is definitely more regulatory!

• Advertisement

Aaaanyway, they've put a sign for the Samaritians in its place. Not sure what to take from that..

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Lol.

Advertisement