Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an Adoption Certificate Online

Options
  • 26-06-2017 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi
    Can anyone tell me is it possible to order an Adoption certificate online?

I have the persons original birth certificate but I want to get a copy of their adoption cert.

I looked at the GRO website and ordered an adoption certificate based on the original birth certificate details I had.

I am not able to get to Werburgh Street Dublin or Roscommon so I thought I would try online.

Will the GRO send it to me or was I wasting my time?
    Any help appreciated.

Ballycarton.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi
    Can anyone tell me is it possible to order an Adoption certificate online?

I have the persons original birth certificate but I want to get a copy of their adoption cert.

I looked at the GRO website and ordered an adoption certificate based on the original birth certificate details I had.

I am not able to get to Werburgh Street Dublin or Roscommon so I thought I would try online.

Will the GRO send it to me or was I wasting my time?
    Any help appreciated.

Ballycarton.

Ballycarton- if nothing else, on Data Protection grounds- I would be shocked if the GRO acceded to your request.

Unless you have a person's name, and date of birth you cannot order a certificate for them.

The GRO will *not* extrapolate an extract of the adopted children's register from an original birth cert- for many reasons- but mostly- because they are not the agency with the records necessary to make the specific match.

Keep in mind- annual births peaked at just under 80k per annum- and are now around 65k per annum- this is up to 1,500 births per week- or over 200 a day. Of these 200 a day- you're looking for characteristics that signify a match- allowing for gender- you're down at between 6 and 10 a day on average (lower sometimes, higher other times).

The Adoption Authority have records which could collaborate which adoption record (or to call it correctly- extract from the adopted children's register) relates to which original birth certificate.

If you knew the date the adoption order was signed- it would assist, but it still wouldn't be definitive.

You either need to go Werburgh Street yourself- or you need to seek the assistance of a search angel to assist you.

I know it sounded like you could take a short cut and 'ping' you'd have the correct current name for the adopted child- it doesn't work like that though, sorry..........

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ballycarton

Oh dear,
    Thank you for the reply I thought you could get an adoption cert online as I just clicked that option. I do have the adopted persons original birth certificate. I also know what agency is involved. But they are also citing Data protection and refuse to issue any information even non identifying info.
    Unfortunately I am unable to travel to Dublin or Roscommon to do my own research. How do you contact a search angel ? I would be willing to pay any fees and postage etc.
    Thank you once again for your help.Ballycarton.

GRO were in touch.
    Unfortunately they cannot definitely link births to adoptions. They did say though that I could search Adoption register in either Warburg St or Roscommon even if I knew date of adoption order it still would not be of much help. But having original birth cert which I do gives some help.

Thanks again for your help Mr. Conductor.

Ballycarton.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

GRO were in touch.
    Unfortunately they cannot definitely link births to adoptions. They did say though that I could search Adoption register in either Warburg St or Roscommon even if I knew date of adoption order it still would not be of much help. But having original birth cert which I do gives some help.

Thanks again for your help Mr. Conductor.

Ballycarton.

Hi Ballycarton-

If you know the date of the Adoption Order- the details of those granted were published quarterly in Iris Oifigiúl (up to 1986). I.e. if the order was prior to 1986- you can look at the issue of Iris Oifigiul immediately after the order was granted- and it lists the new name of the child, and their adoptive parents address and other details (I'm not joking). You'd then need to get the birth certificates for the children listed in Iris Oifigiul- and match the dates of birth to original birth cert you have. You may still have 2 or 3 matches- or you might get lucky and only have one- you would however have narrowed the field down to 2-3 (or perhaps even one).

The name and address would of course be when the order was granted- i.e. 30 or more years ago- however, you could use historical electoral registers (county libraries have them on micro-fiche) to try and track down a current address. You may have to expand your investigative skills in other directions- if this is insufficient- but I think you can see, you have options you can explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

Hi, the adoption order date is on every adoption cert, so if you had adoption order it would narrow down your search as you can get more than one adopted with same date of birth.
    Nothing else can link birth with adoption.
    Good luck

• Advertisement

The Conductor & Kathy Finn

I am amazed that they did publish so much information in Iris Oifiguil up to 1986. But I suppose they were different times then not like now when nothing can be disclosed due to Data Protection & FOI laws.
    At least I have some more pointers to work from.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

It is much appreciated.

Ballycarton.

Advertisement