Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to become a welder without qualifications?

Options
  • 26-06-2017 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, im 21 and trying to find some info on how i would start the process on becoming a welder , i dont have my leaving or junior cert completed as i left school because i prefer a hands on work

Im not on any benifits at the moment so i wont get a course through fas because theres a high waiting list

I would like to start the process this september if i could because i no it will take a few years

I have no idea where to even start, does anyone no if you need junior/leaving cert? Or what the process is like (how many years to be qualified etc)

Id prefer if i didnt have to go back to a school like enviroment, i dont no what else to ask because as i said i dont no where to start! If anyone who is qualified / in the process of welding could gove me advice thatd be great

Also, i can weld already i woupdnt be learning form scatch i dont no if thats any revelance.. thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Welding is'nt a trade in Ireland(for some unknown reason) it's a module tacked onto the end of full trades such as mechanic/pipe fitter/plumbing etc.
    You can do courses privately or through FAS, something like an intermediate welding program offered by FAS would get you certs to go welding in high production factories for example, that would be entry level type of jobs with pay to match, advanced programs and pipe welding programs are offered as well but they are hard to get onto, and if done privately are expensive.

I would enquire with FAS and see what are the requirements for getting onto a waiting list as a start.

Advertisement