Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway: the bainín jacket

Options
  • 26-06-2017 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Back in the 90's I went into O'Máille's in Dominick Street or Quay street, not shop street.
    I put a deposit on a Bainín jacket but when I returned a long time later the shop was gone!!
    My question is, where have these jackets disappeared to?
    I have not seen them for years, these are not knitted wooley cardy's they are wool or tweed jackets.
    From what I remember they are collarless and buttonless?
    Maybe local to Galway area.
    Any one help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

smokin wrote: »
    Back in the 90's I went into O'Máille's in Dominick Street or Quay street, not shop street.
    I put a deposit on a Bainín jacket but when I returned a long time later the shop was gone!!
    My question is, where have these jackets disappeared to?
    I have not seen them for years, these are not knitted wooley cardy's they are wool or tweed jackets.
    From what I remember they are collarless and buttonless?
    Maybe local to Galway area.
    Any one help?

I know exactly the type of jacket you mean.

Once you'd get them in Naughton's on High Street, which is now no longer a shop and called Sonny Molloy's; it's one of the entrances to the Front Door pub. Your other possibility is O'Mailles on High Street which is the same people as had the shop years ago on Dominick Street. They stock all that kind of stuff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'd say similar, but without the buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'll be honest, I don't really remember what they looked like, though I remember that a councillor (was it?) changed his name to Something 'Bainin' Something. In the 1990s?? Does anybody have a good picture of one? I'm not having much luck with Google Image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,914 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I'll be honest, I don't really remember what they looked like, though I remember that a councillor (was it?) changed his name to Something 'Bainin' Something. In the 1990s?? Does anybody have a good picture of one? I'm not having much luck with Google Image.

You aren't thinking of Séan Bán Breathnach from RnaG/TG4 are you?

Edit: Nope.

You aren't thinking of Séan Bán Breathnach from RnaG/TG4 are you?

No, not him. See links above for Pól Bainín ó Foighil

• Registered Users Posts: 9,914 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep. We were posting at the same time.

Advertisement